This Disappears When Logged In

Amazon Basin ETB

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by jasonwade02, Sep 27, 2011.

1. jasonwade02

jasonwade02 Member

So I was doing a bit more research today. Why are the Amazon Basin ETBs so expensive? Is it a supply/demand thing or is it a physical look that drives the price up? I had my heart set on one of those but I may have to revisit that when the time comes, I just don't think I could afford that much right now. Is it the Northern ETB that is a bit less expensive? I saw some that were anywhere from $400 to $600 which is a bit more doable. There was definitely a distinct difference in their color/pattern. I'm also contemplating getting a GTP as they are a bit more readily available, although I do really want to work with a species that isn't readily available in my area, something people don't see all the time. At the reptile show I go to every month there are generally quite a few GTPs for sale.

2. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Personally I'd go with whatever was captive bred. That way you have an animal that is more likely to be healthy. You said it's going to be a while before you get one, right? So maybe by then you can save up?

3. Dogboa

Dogboa Elite Member

Basically you are correct in that the basins are more desirable because of color and markings. Corallus caninus are still available as imports, where Corallus batesii have been stopped being exported from South America. Basins tend to be more stocky and most would say they have a better disposition. As far as pricing, it is what the market will bear.

Craig