This Disappears When Logged In

Am I the Only One?

Discussion in 'Shows and Expos' started by mimo91088, Oct 23, 2011.

1. mimo91088

mimo91088 Elite Member

Am I the only one who gets frustrated when you go to a smaller show, and 99% of what you see is balls, corns, and leopard geckos? I know they're popular and I like 2 of them (I don't do colubrids) , but still, come on people! :p

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

We only get one show a year, so I love whatever reptiles I see.
    There is however usually a few boa breeder, assorted gecko breeders. But your right those are the three that are popular for the beginner reptile owner!

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I was just at a local show today.
    Unfortunately it is getting smaller every year.
    Definitely the majority was snakes.

Even the CRBE in Toronto this year was mainly snakes.
    I don't understand who buys them all. Even a friend of mine sold out of all his ball pythons.
    I guess I figured more people would like lizards than snakes.
    But snakes are much easier to keep I suppose.

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I know exactly what you mean! I love the BPs aswell but come on already. I have to wait for the Repticon show to come around again or follow to another state. Wish I was in florida....

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I liked the Florida shows I went to. The majority of the herps were ball pythons, boas, corns and leos, but they still had an astounding variety.

I mainly prefer boas and pythons myself, though there are a few colubrids I like.

6. Scott Smith

Scott Smith Elite Member

Has anyone been to The All Animal Expo??

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

The thing to remember with shows, especially one that happen on a monthly or so basis, is that vendors only want to bring what they are fairly sure they will sell. Its stressful for them and the animals to get loaded in the van, drive Xmany hours to get to said show, and get setup. Then they have to load everything that didn't sell back up and repeat the process to get home. Snakes are easier to transport I think as they can go in smaller containers. You could stick several dozen containers of crested geckos in the same sterilite tub as would be needed to haul a handful of young tegus safely for example. I also think that there are simply more people breeding snakes than lizards. It disappoints me as well to see so few lizards and so little variety. Occasionally ask a vendor if they will be bringing anything else to the show in the future( if its a re-occurring one), maybe they will get the hint eventually.

8. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Wow, you better give m your two corn snakes if you don't do colubrids-I am only joking, don't bite my head off. o:)

Seriously though, come down South, the Repticon shows in Columbia S.C. have their share of corns,balls and leopard geckos, but they are also richly endowed with Burms, 'tics,other pythons and boas and uromastxy lizards. They also have quite a few HOTS. I really am unable to have hots because: 1) I am a bit older than the average beginning venomous keeper
    2) I have a young son who I have no intention of exposing hots to
    3) I really don't have the room for a separate venomous room

There are numerous types of reptiles and amphibians to be found. This is only in S.C. the shows in Florida from what I hear are WAAAAAY better than the South Carolina ones. ;)

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi David, you missed another reason you don`t need a venomous snake; you get bitten quite a lot..... (Though most of the time, it`s just to please me)..... (Thanks)! ;)

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

It's funny, everytime someone had a bite with blood you were always on our minds, Wouldn't murrindindi like this one! Thank goodness David was always there for a cheer! LOL;)

11. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

The quarterly expos here are great. We have crested geckos, leopard geckos, mourning geckos, tokay geckos, day geckos, leachies, gargoyles, uromastyxs, bearded dragons, gilas.and beadeds, frilleds, panther, veiled, and jackson chameleons, tegus, monitors, blue tongue skinks, croc skinks, armadillo lizards, retics, burms, womas, black heads, indigos, rats, corns, kings, milks, gtps, atbs, etbs (occasionally), carpets, dart frogs, bugs of all sorts, milk frogs, tree frogs, frog eye geckos, flying geckos, and so much more.

12. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Your lucky, just went to the one in Kalamazoo and it wasn't really worth the trip for anything other than leopards, cresties, balls and boas. First time in a long time I came home with nothing. There were some assorted frogs and spiders and such as well. Would have bought a used showcase cage but it wouldn't fit in the trunk of the car we were in.

13. BarelyBreathing

It might be worth the drive to go elsewhere.

14. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Oh, the one in Taylor is usually better, and this is only the second time I've been to this one. And almost the same distance from me, so I suppose I should just be grateful that there are 2 I can hit every month within 60 miles.

15. BarelyBreathing

Yeah, that's pretty lucky.