This Disappears When Logged In

Am I Missing Something

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by dp428, Feb 3, 2017.

1. dp428

dp428 Established Member

Hello everyone I was hoping to get some feed back on this because I am confused on how I have a savannah monitor lizard (roughly 40in) and I have like the minimum requirements to house him, basically. He lives in a 9ftx6ftx4ft enclosure.
    But some how you can house a 20ft python in an enclosure that isn't even 5ft long (I understand this may be an understatement). I just feel like their needs to be more pressure on snake owners to ensure they have proper housing environments as well. Unless I am missing something about snakes and they prefer to live in something that resembles a shoe box in comparison. Does anyone else feel this way or am I missing something

2. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

This is the reason, simply stated. Snakes in general seem to prefer tighter spaces. I have seen large pythons in large enclosures and they choose to spend most of their time crunched in the corner. I believe Brian at BHB touched on this subject in one of his videos as well. Monitors on the other hand seem to take more advantage of the space and by nature are more of a foraging predator instead of an ambush predator, they are also not as "flexible" per say, where as a snake could turn completely around in a relatively tight space.

That does not mean that there are no minimum cage size requirements for a snake, your not going to put a 10ft snake in a 40 long aquarium. but most large pythons do just fine in a 8 x3 enclosure, for the monsters 20+ft you could do a 8x4 or 10x4.

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

My belief personally is that a snake enclosures length should at the very least equal that of the snakes full length so it can entirely stretch out if it pleases, but that becomes more difficult as the snake size increases. I definitely agree that the "standard" of large snake keeping seems a little small but honestly snakes that big really don't do much at all.

4. dp428

dp428 Established Member

Ok, that is totally understandable. I definitely don't home snakes nearly as much as lizards. so I do appreciate the insight and it puts my mind at ease as well. Also why do breeders keep a lot of snakes just in a bins, not in an enclosure/tank? Just cost effective?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cost as well as room. Snakes don't need as much space because they do not tend to lay around stretched out. For good reason. A snake laying stretched out in the wild would be seen and eaten. Unless actively searching for food or mating, they will be coiled up somewhere out of sight.

6. Beyond cost effectiveness, it is much easier to regulate the temperature of a bin vs a tank. So bins are greatly preferred when dealing with snakes with very specific temperature requirements. And they do seem to prefer it like mentioned above. Most snakes enjoy dark, small spaces.