This Disappears When Logged In

Alternative Foods/treats For Cornsnakes?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by SnakeMom, Mar 26, 2017.

1. SnakeMom

SnakeMom New Member

Hi, I was wondering what other kinds of foods and meats are edible to cornsnakes. I feed my corn mice and I've tried to feed her minows (she didn't want want anything to do with them) and I was wondering what other foods cornsnakes can safely eat. I'm not necessarily looking for a replacement diet, just a list of things they could eat and digest safely as maybe as "treat" or supplement. Iv'e heard people feeding raw chicken, steak, and ground beef... is that safe? I imagine a chick would be a pretty good food for a corn snake but what about processed meats...? Would it be safer cooked? What about plant based foods? Eggs?

Again, I'm not planning on feeding anything questionable to my snake, this is pure curiosity!

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In the wild a corn snake will eat rodents, frogs and small lizards.

They don't eat: insects, fish, raw chicken, beef, lamb, plants, tofu, etc.

They do not eat fish, which is why it wasn't interested in the minnows. If you seek a snake that eats fish, a garter, ribbon or northern water snake would be a better choice.

As a treat and for added exercise I have tossed in green anoles with my corn snakes over the years. They would chase them down and readily consume them. That would be the only "treat" I would be able to suggest. In addition to the anoles, the snakes always received their weekly mouse as well. Mice can't leave the diet as they make up the bulk of it in captivity.

Jay1718 likes this.
  3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I know some who have fed them frozen thawed chicks which the snake accepted.
    I wouldn't make that a large part of the diet though