This Disappears When Logged In

Alligator loves to watch TV

Discussion in 'Crocodilians - General' started by CRRL, Jun 4, 2013.

1. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Welcome to hercenter! Love the snakes you got... almost as much as I enjoy viewing your enclosures.

2. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Ok CRRL I gotta ask (sorry) what POCT can you do? I imagine fecal, bacterial and what else? (worked in Medical Lab Tech program for a really long time so I know a little bit lol)

3. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

I am using my kindle so will keep this short.
    U r correct about mutual respect.
    I admire you for starting a rescue, you will be busy lol.
    In the lab I do mostly fecal exams. But I have all the equipment for processing blood samples, tissues, surgeries, pretty much anything .
    I am a biomedical engineer with a background in clinical laboratory science.
    I was a Marine Sniper for 21 years so I had lots of time for study, and the military paid for the education.

4. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Wow you are really lucky! I can do fecal exams, I can reliably determine secondary infection including coccidia (then its off to the vet to make sure!) and various skin mites also. I have most of the gram stains to do hematology but I have never honestly tried with the reptiles. Would be interesting though lol.

I do stay rather busy - I have 5 kids, 3 dogs, 6 lizards at the moment (more coming in next week) and a house to keep sane lol. But someone has to help those who can't help themselves!

5. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Lol, love it!
    Sounds like my home.

Thank you!
    I believe that if I am going to keep these animals captive, they deserve the very best habitats possible.

6. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

My home is quite chaotic, but I would love to chat sometime about some hematology and micro things if you dont mind (when you aren't on the kindle ofc)

And I agree about the enclosures....your enclosures are beautiful by the way.

7. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

You probably already know this:
    Poison Dart Frogs obtain their poisons from their diets in the wild.
    Captive bred PDFs are not poisonous and are perfectly safe.

8. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Yea I know that....I tried explaining that to my parents when I asked them about it....

9. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Captive alligators are generally docile, though individuals will vary.
    Due to the ratio, crocodilians don't quite think as complex as we, and other mammals do, however we've shown that they can indeed learn their names, color cues and specific people. They can even learn to expect when to be fed if you are consistent with the schedules. That comes in handy when you have animals that think every time you come around that it's time to eat, like most of my buzz worms.

I've had a female alligator that would always run into the water when I came around but when my Grandmother walked by, she actually followed her along side the fence.

I believe the exact same thing.

10. Mledwards123

Mledwards123 Elite Member

After reading all of this all I can say is you are awesome haha. I just got into reptiles not long ago so I enjoy learning all I can

11. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Lol, thank you.
    Just a reptile lover like you.

They are generally docile even in the wild.
    He is remarkably bright, check this out.
    He knows that if i enter the enclosure from the left side, i am doing maintenance and he just watches me.
    If I enter from the right he is getting fed and it's game on, lol.
    He definately recognizes people.
    I just love Jeffie. How long did you have your gator?

12. KrokadilyanGuy3

I believe it. Crocodilians are remarkable creatures.
    I had that individual for 15 years. I actually study the behavior of crocodilians and have participated in many of the studies I mentioned.

13. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

How much land do you have? Just curious? I have mostly small reptile rescues and it still takes up considerable space in my house.

14. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

We have five acres but the reptiles are indoors.
    Our house is three stories and 3200 square foot and still crowded with enclosures and supplies.
    My wife is very understanding. Lol

Awesome. Thanks for helping these incredible survivors.
    All people want to do is kill them out of ignorance and fear.

15. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Wow your house is just a little smaller then mine! Mine is 3440 square feet and I am packed in here between turtles and lizards..seriously. I can imagine your wife is very understanding! LOL I am recently separated so its just the kids and me and they think its cool!

16. KrokadilyanGuy3

Yall have huge houses. Im stuck with 1630sqft.

17. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

I had a small house for years, you always find room for another animal. Lol
    1630 ft is not that small.

18. Sarandacotah

Sarandacotah Well-Known Member

That is amazing! :)

19. Midori

Midori Elite Member

No small is less the 800 square feet.

People don't give reptiles in general enough credit. But it doesn't shock me that a gator would enough watching TV. My Gecko Mindy liked watching TV and my playing video games. My mom has photos of her watching me play Pokemon on her phone.