This Disappears When Logged In

Alligator loves to watch TV

Discussion in 'Crocodilians - General' started by CRRL, Jun 4, 2013.

1. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

That is a great story!
    My American Alligator "Jeffie" seems to like watching TV also.
    He lays on the sofa with me and rests his head on my knee and looks at the TV.
    I don't know if he just likes the attention or not, you never know what a gator is thinking.

2. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Re: Dave (our Beardy) Loves to Watch TV

CRRL HOW do you keep an alligator in your house without fear? They are totally cool I admit but I would be terrified.

3. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I so want to see a photo of this, to see if the picture in my head matches that of reality. A gator? Too awesome. ;)

4. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Now this isn't a 250 pound alligator is it?? I'm guessing a baby/juvenile... unless you have a very large and strong sofa. :p

5. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

I don't want to jack this thread so I will keep it simple.
    Jeffie is in a very large enclosure and I keep complete control of him at all times, he is never loose.
    He is getting big, 5' now, so I won't be able to do this for much longer. Although he is gentle towards me he is just too strong.
    :((( My baby is growing up.

LOL, juvenile. I rescued him as a tiny baby. I will get a pic next time he is out with me.

6. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Haha, just making sure. I mean who knows? You just might be able to have a 250lbs.+ alligator laying on your lap or sofa? Would you be willing to to post some pictures of your gator?

7. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Absolutely! I will get some uploaded.
    Were do I post them?

8. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Well, you could either make a new thread with pictures if you have a lot or post a few on here? To post pictures click that picture frame with a little tree inside it on the top right middle of the toolbar above the text box. Then from computer at top and then click basic uploader at bottom right and click choose file. Be aware I am not the best at running this stuff but I am pretty sure that is the best way to do it. Also, I think you can only upload one file at a time but it might have changed so it could take awhile.

Also, it would be nice if you made a thread with pictures of a bunch of the animals you have rescued/currently own. But if it is too much of a hassle for you than you don't need to...its just nice to see the different reptiles people have.

Thanks!

9. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Ok someone make a new post for this...Davey is adorable and Micah is correct we need to get back to OP but still I wanna talk about this!!!!

10. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

both my beardies are very interested in their surroundings. They are just outside the kitchen and by the back door and Zoey even waits for one of the roomates to come home. She flirts with him the shameless hussy. But both of them love watching the turtle simming in her tank and watching the dogs come in and out of the kitchen when im cooking so watching TV? sure why not. Its movement and color. Stimulation. now for the American alligator.. um.. thems not legal in Washington as pets.. EEKS>

11. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

It technically isn't his pet....because he rescued it..... ;)

12. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Correct, alligators are not legal in WA.
    I am certified and licensed by the state to rescue and care for dangerous and venomous reptiles.
    Reptile bans apply to the general public, not specialized rescues and wildlife sanctuaries.
    So all is good.

Here is my rescue website, I have many pics of rescues and projects.
    Jeffie is being..."difficult" at the moment, and he always gets his way;|(|

Cowlitz Reptile Rescue Lab is the premier facility for reptile care and rehabilitation in Southwest Washington and Northwest Oregon.

I love when people make this comment.
    I know RCW16.30 better than anyone. I have an intimate relationship with WDFW.
    I am completely legal in all respects, but I appreciate the concern.

Ok, thanks to Merlin I can post more in this thread.
    I will get some recent photos when Jeffie is in a better mood.
    I should tell you that I have a pair of Broadbanded Copperheads that I rescued from Florida.
    They are beautiful and "illegal" as well.

13. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

14. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Thank you, he does seem happy; he is very gentle.
    The most recent were about 5 months ago.
    He needs a bath anyway so I will get him scrubbed up for his debut here.

Here are some 5 month old photos.
    Jeffie is growing slowly in length now, but gaining girth quickly.
    He is going to be a BIG boy!
    He looks and acts tough but he is really gentle and manageable "with me". Not true with other people unless I am holding him.

Attached Files:

15. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Thank you Merlin, ok now I don't feel bad to the OP...How do you control an alligator? Sorry that sounds like a stupid question but to me it would seem like the illusion of control and not control itself. I mean I am not a weak person nor am I afraid of them - but I will admit I have a healthy respect for them

16. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

You definitely have the right attitude!
    Control is an illusion, he lets me handle him. Handling technique is the answer.
    Sometimes brute strength and a battle of will is involved. However, he has NEVER tried to bite me, even though I do not band his mouth closed. I have had him for 6 years now and am very used to how to handle him, and he recognizes me as the alpha.
    Crocodilians are the only reptiles with a neo-cortex, this means that they can "think" and work things out.
    I have the utmost respect for his power and speed and I never give him an opportunity to attack, never trust a potentially dangerous reptile, no matter how much you think they love you.

By the way, I am very advanced in treatment and care of dangerous and venomous reptiles, but there is a great amount of talent and knowledge on this forum. I am honored to be a part of a place where new owners can ask questions and get relevant and correct answers. You all are doing a great job in advancing our passion for these animals. Thank you for welcoming me here.

17. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Jeffie and the copperheads are beautiful!! I love the dart frogs! Did someone give those up too?

18. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

LOL- OK, you caught me.
    I bought and raised the frogs because they are so beautiful, yes I am a collector as well.
    The copperheads were rescued.

19. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

(I am simplifying this some) So basically through mutual respect and good husbandry he recognizes you as the boss and as long as you don't push his buttons he remains controllable for you. That is what I am taking from what you are saying. Correct me if I am wrong.

I didn't know you had a rescue :) Around here I am the lizard lady. The local AC's can't care for reptiles so if one comes in rather than being instantly euthanized they call me and see if I can accept them. I don't take any poisonous snakes or any crocodilian at all. I don't have the room, permits or experience to even want to honestly - but I definitely admire your work!! And I love your website. I have been working on one myself.

20. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Dart Frogs are really beautiful! I have been wanted some for a long time. I figured you bought them out of your own interest... ;)

I will probably get a few and build a vivarium for them once I build my Green Iguana's new cage (big enough for her full-size) and my Boa's new cage.....