This Disappears When Logged In

Alligator As A Pet

Discussion in 'Crocodilians - General' started by caters, Aug 6, 2015.

1. caters

caters Member

I don't have any experience with reptiles. The closest I have ever had to that is being in the region of the US where alligators live when I was really young. I have never had a reptile as a pet though, not even a small lizard.

I don't think my parents have had a reptile as a pet either.

So obviously an alligator would not be my first choice for a reptile.

But later in life like in college I might have to take care of somebody's reptile pet as well as study and do my homework when the owner isn't there.

I also know that with proper licensing you can still get a pet alligator from an alligator farm.

So if I really wanted an alligator but don't have enough experience to take care of one I might go for an alligator lizard which is much easier to take care of and looks like an alligator.

And by the time I have children I might or might not have enough experience with reptiles to take care of an alligator. And what if I get bit? A lizard bite isn't deadly but an alligator bite, even from a baby gator is deadly if not treated asap because of severe bleeding and high risk of infection.

And what if my children find alligators so fascinating and even see baby alligators being sold as pets? This makes it much more complicated than it is when it is just me thinking of whether or not to have a gator because the children could be going through their negative phase where they say no but mean yes or they could have had experience with reptiles at the zoo after school or just want a gator or lots of other things.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm glad you came to this wise decision.

DogDemon and Brian Wilber like this.
  3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Not to mention the phenomenal expense of their enclosure, upkeep, and the price of veterinary care for exotic animals.

Rodrigo Alves likes this.
  4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

However many places you cannot own one. In my city they are illegal except on commercially zoned property.
    Part of being a parent means knowing when to tell your children "no!"

At no time is an alligator an appropriate pet for children.

Brian Wilber and Darkbird like this.
  5. Brian Wilber

Brian Wilber Member

Sort of an odd post. These animals are not pets.

6. Rodrigo Alves

Rodrigo Alves New Member

I've seen many as pets, but then again, with veteran breeders with the knowledge that you cannot 'pet' them as you would pet your cat. it's pretty much a private zoo relation. Those are fascinating animals and you may try a Varanus for an example wich is way more harmless than an alligator.