This Disappears When Logged In

All Access Tote Chondro Build

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by TJOHNSON722, Apr 12, 2014.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Hello everyone. So as i was looking around to get ideas for our Rubbermaid All access tote build for a baby biak green tree python build, i didn't see much. So i decided i would share so others could copy me if they wanted.

I started out with a medium Rubbermaid All Access tote. The measurements are Roughly 17 x 15 x 15. These are stackable and have a clear front. Pretty cool i thought.

Anyways, what we did was grab two pvc end caps. We got the 4.5" wide ones. They come in different sizes. We drilled holes in the caps at top and through the tote itself. We then screwed it on there. That way it can drink in the air or on the ground. We then screwed in closet pole hangers to the tote as well and put two perches a various heights. Pictures below.

Attached Files:

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Ok, next we worked on the security aspect. We have two children and they tend to open things they aren't supposed to. So, the husband, genius as he is, decided to put a lock on the door. Pictures below. What he did was put a thin piece of board and attached it to the tote, not the door. Then he attached, using same holes, the top part of the lock. He then drilled though the top of the door on the handle and attached the bottom of the lock. Pretty cool. If you want other pictures let me know.

We then drilled small holes around the enclosure, because and I quote, "well everything needs to breathe".

We then attached a heat pad to the back of the tote on the outside. Yes, I did end up using the understand heater. For now at least.

Attached Files:

3. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Wow that turned out really cool!! Something like that would run a few hundred if you bought it from a manufacturer like AP or BP!
    Let us know how it holds heat and humidity! :)

4. kjm

kjm Member

Very cool!!! That's an interesting cage idea thanks for showing.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

We also are using a led lighting bulb that we got. Since this will likely be the last one we build like this for niw, we decided to use a led bulb made for humid conditions in a dome light on top. The handy husband cut a hole out of the top lid and put mesh on the lid then we put the bulb in place.

I affixed the probes for the digital thermometer and the thermostat to one of the perches and put in fake leaves on top. This is it. Feel free to use this anytime. I will also add this to the reptile enclosure thread when we get the little guy.

Total cost was about 50.00 to build. However we reused stuff we had laying around like the leaves were from our way too big tarantulas enclosure that we downsized. The thermostat and thermometer were from Chiquita, the 15 ft burmese that we had when we were rescuing animals. We had extra under tank heaters laying around so we just used one of the small ones for that. Enjoy, it only took about 2 hours to put together.

Test run is in the morning and I will let you all know how the humidity and temps do when I check them. Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I will definately keep you updated. Luckily I got done 2 days early so I have time to adjust things if need be. I'm so excited.

7. EriksExotics

I am excited, too and I'm not even the one getting a snake! Lol

Guess I'm just an over enthusiastic nerdy snake guy :p

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

We're all like that. I've just learnt not to overdo it now. That's why I only get a new snake if I absolutely have to have it like a gtp. I've wanted one since I learnt what they were. (Thanks Joeyg it was you that started my obsession all those years ago when I saw the dramatic change they go through...)

I'm excited to see how the tote works. In past experience, the animals I kept in totes have done really well. Humidity was kept way up, and heating has been a breeze. I just have a plethora of empty cages in the basement but with a gtp I have to have vertical space so these made more sense.

9. EriksExotics

There are several species I want but I am at a point where I can only invest in breeders :/

Going to get a few more adult female boas and a few arboreals and then I'm done until at least next year :/

10. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Plugged it in just 20 minutes ago and it is steady climbing in temperature. Was at 71 degrees and now is at 74 degrees. Sprayed and filled up the water bowls so we will see how it holds up throughout the day.

11. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Update on temps. The temps are 86-88 basking spot and 76 ambient temp. The humidity is holding steady at 47%. Still a few more degrees to go.

12. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I just wanted to add a couple of things. Its good the perch is removable because it makes things easier. One thing is that the perch should be a little smaller for a baby though. I think you've done a very nice job on the enclosure ;-) looking forward to seeing the baby

13. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Are those temps or humidity too low?

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Humidity could be higher I think probably in the 70%'s right? I could be wrong as I dont remember what its supposed to be at just remember it was similar to a cwd...

15. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I think I'm going to have to get a fogger. It wont go higher no matter what I do. Unless I literally spray a lot.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What about an itty bitty waterfall?

17. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I tweaked the cage a little and now we will see. After an hour and a fresh spray (hasn't been done since last night) it's at 52% humidity it's only at 83 degrees. Thats mesuring with the temo gun. The digital thermometer with probe is only getting a reading of 75. I think I'll have to get a larger under tank heater or try the 3" flexwatt.

18. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

It's going to be too cold tonight so I get a few extra days. It's like they knew lol.

19. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I'm holding off on using this and am working on my plan b build until I can figure out how to get the heat up. The plastic seems to be too thick to allow penetration.

20. EriksExotics

How many air holes did you put in the original build?