This Disappears When Logged In

Albino Clawed Frog

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by HappyScrappyHeroPup, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have 2 Albino African Clawed Frogs and was wondering if I can use fine Crushed coral as a substrate. Currently I'm using a very find black sand. I don't want to cause impaction or anything. I also don't know if crushed coral would be bad for them for any reason. The reason that I really want to use it in addition to the black sand is because I just got a Fly River Turtle that I'm hoping will be able to be housed with the frogs long term, but they say that Crushed coral is really good for him and will keep the PH buffered appropriately. Currently, the 4 inhabitants are as follows:
    2 Albino African Clawed Frogs
    1 Fly River Turtle
    1 African Reedfish

Below is a pic of two of the buddies

Just wanted to add another pic, this one is of Noodles and Frogger

Attached Files:

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Your turtle will not be able to be housed with the frogs long term... not unless you want your frogs with bite marks in them.

And I hate to say it, they aren't buddies, and probably don't even like each other.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would not use the crushed coral. That will make your water have a high pH. That substrate is more in line with a marine aquarium or a rift lake cichlid tank.

4. yeah I was worried that longterm the FRT might start biting the legs of the frogs. However hoping that if they're together from a young age, he'll just leave them alone. The reed fish is constantly swimming around and under the the frogs, it's the funniest thing.

That's exactly the point, the FRT's recommended PH is between 8.0-8.4, the Reedfish's is 6.0-7.5 and the Clawed frog's are 6.5-8.5 so they should be fine as it pertains to PH. If anything, I'd have to worry more about the Reedfish, however he should be fine as long as I constantly change water, which I do. This will keep the ammonia levels from spiking which is part of the reason you run a bit higher ph. But if that doesn't work and it starts getting sickly, I'll just have to set up another tank for him specifically. i'm more worried about the Frogs and FRT husbandry. That being said, it's recommended with the FRT's to use marine buffer to raise PH as it is a calcium carbonate based buffer not sodium carbonate like freshwater PH Buffers. But how will the marine buffer affect the frogs?

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

once your turtle gets a touch bigger, it will bite your frogs. It doesn't matter if they grow up together, they naturally go though feeders as they get bigger their food does too.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yes, your frogs WILL be lunch. I highly suggest separating them, as stated in your other thread.

7. Yeah that's the plan. I'm gonna wait probably about a month, then start a new tank just for the FRT.

8. TAKE THAT BACK!!!! They are buddies I tell you. In fact they are the bery best of friends. They watch movies together, go swimming together and even share the same straw when they eat (actually it's the opening of the turkey baster I use to feed them bloodworms, but close enough). Why are people so against inter-species romance? :D

9. uhhhlexi

uhhhlexi New Member

I don't recommend the black sand. Albino Clawed Frogs love to blend in, so the can hide better. I would recommend putting in lightly colored rocks, big enough so they can't swallow them, but small enough so they won't get smashed. I have the same frogs, and they absolutely love the rocks. I think you should try them just to see how it works out.
    I also put a fake plant and fake log in there, for better hiding places. They like to stand on the top of the plant so it is easier to get air. Also, Take the turtle out. Turtles will eat anything live that is not bigger than them. No doubt he's nipped at them when you're not looking. Hope this helps.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This thread is from last year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.