This Disappears When Logged In

Agressive And Flighty Snakes..

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by king1239, May 28, 2015.

1. king1239

king1239 Elite Member

so my collection has multiplied over the past year and half , i have acquired a few fiesty snakes... i was wondering if anyone had tips on how to tame some of them down... 1st is a hogg island boa, hes cage agressive , open mouth hissing in the cage but puppy dog tame when out... 2nd is a long term captive wild caught white oaks grey rat , he is mean all around cant do anything with him without getting bit 3rd is a flighty milk snake , he hasnt bit yet but he hisses and craps all over me in an attempt to get away.. last is a ribbon snake . he is fast , agressive , he poops on me , and he wiggles like nobodys business. any tips for taming of any of these guys ?

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Gentle, systematic handling is pretty much the only thing I can think of. Never go in from above when picking them up, don't grab them suddenly, let them call the shots. You can also let the snakes roam near you in an enclosed space (a closed room or a pen of sorts) so that they can get used to your smell. The milk and ribbon snakes are just scared out of their wits and should tame down easily over time. The rat may just simply be like that...as a WC it can be difficult to tame down.

3. Horrorphile

Horrorphile Active Member

I agree, you just need to handle them consistently. For some of my larger more aggressive snakes, hook training has been a very useful tool to help get them out of their enclosure. You could also get a pair of gloves if you are nervous about getting bit just to give you a confidence boost. Also something I've learned over the years is different types just act differently when handled. My pythons tend to not move around as much as say a milk or rat will.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And keep in mind that some snakes just are not going to take to handling. Its just the way things are.