This Disappears When Logged In

Aggressive Kenyan Sand Boa

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Melissa747, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

I bought my male Kenyan sand now in the beginining of March and he was such a sweetheart. However for the last week or so he's become extremely aggressive. He has all he needs to live happily so I don't know what's going on with him. Is there any way I can maybe tame him or something?

2. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

Did you let him settle when you brought him home. I would just let him be for a week or so. if you did let him settle. he just may not wanna be missed with or might be in shed

3. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Yeah, he was totally fine. Then all of a sudden he wants to kill me. :/

I talked to a few people but they all said different things. One said it could be due to the breeding season.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Is it possible that he is getting ready to shed? Many snakes get a bit cranky at that time. I beleive that not only do they not see well, but they are uncomfortable.

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

When I was breeding these little guys I found that the males tended to be a bit more nippy than the females, but not really aggressive. Pre shed would be my first thought as well, but also if he doesn't have some "personal time", a balance of being held and left alone, he could just be stressed.

Backwards enginer to the events leading to his aggressiveness, really think of the details and check out the care sheets. See what may have worked it's way into this situation. Sometimes it's the little details that add up to a stressfull situation that may pass or may get worse. If he's still feeding I would not worry to much about it, but keep checking everything.

My first male and primary breeder was a nut-job... the bugger would go on fasts that lasted months (3 months was avg) but he never stopped his rutines and was drinking well so I just sat and worried alot. Come breeding season he would eat just before and just after and back to not eating... little bugger...

My first female... NEVER refused food so I would try feeding the male first and she got everthing else, ya she was huge in comparison to the male lol.

My male would go through fits of aggression now and again but I just left him alone at these times and all was good and well :p

7. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Oh, thanks guys! You've been really helpful. :)

Well earlier this afternoon I used a snake hook to get him out instead of my hands and I placed him on my lap for about 10 minutes then picked him up with the hook and put him in my hands. It seemed like that may have worked.. maybe I was just scaring him with my hands? I held him for about 10-15 minutes then put him back. He was totally back to his old self too. I noticed there was a TINY bit of skin starting to come off so maybe he is about to shed..

8. mld

I've always wanted a kenyan sand boa, do you have any photos of the little cutie?

I'm sure that you both will become comfortable with each other. :)

9. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

10. mld

They are gorgeous! love the names by the way:)

11. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Thank you! :D
    They're named after the Lion King. :)

12. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

LOL ours where Mufasa and Nala :p

Great looking pair your have... ok that sounded wrong...

13. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Hahaha, it's okay! I know what you meant!

I haven't decided if I'll be breeding them or not. They're not quite old enough yet and it depends how much money I'll have also.

14. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Very nice looking snakes indeed. Hoping for your sake that it is just a "pre-shed" phase. Kenyans are normally known for their calmness and ease of handling..
    When I do decide it's time for another animal, an Anery is most likely what it will be..I absolutely love the black/white color scheme pattern.

15. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

Someone told me the same thing about my red tail boa that is aggressive.

We are comfortable with each other now. She is comfortable with biting me and i am comfortable with taking those bites.

16. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

They are absolutely beautiful !!!!

17. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Thanks! My Anery is a creme color with brown spots! Soooo pretty. She's extremely friendly. My male is started to go back to his old self. Hopefully he'll get there soon!

18. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I say that it is probably due to being pre-shed or simply stress. They are both gorgeous, but I do have to agree with what someone else said, males do seem a bit more grumpy than females sometimes.

19. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

I didn't find any snake skin in his tank so I'm not sure what's going on. I noticed the other day that his skin looked like it was starting to peel though.

20. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Can anyone tell me how old my snakes are? My female is about 15 inches and my male is about 13/14.