This Disappears When Logged In

Aggressive (?) Hognose

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Buggy0123, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I put a question mark because I don't know if aggressive is the way to describe it... But I picked up a hognose snake at an expo, I don't know how old he is but I do know that he was used to breed and the breeder said he'd make a good pet. I held him at the expo and he was relatively calm. But just a few minutes ago I went to go check up on him and he started hissing like crazy. The second I stuck my hand in the tank he struck at it (with his mouth closed) and continued to hiss and strike the glass once I pulled my hand out. I'm more worried for him than myself. The tank conditions are; 95-97 on the hot side and 75-77 on the cooler side.

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

He's probably stressed and not used to the new environment.

Baby snakes are usually nippier than adults, too, simply because they're always afraid of being eaten.

3. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

New snakes are nervous, give him time. Also, the temp sounds a bit high. I don't know specifics for hognoses though so I could be wrong. Good luck!

4. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

The hot side of the tank shouldn't go any higher than 86. I don't even use a basking spot for my guys, just ambient light works.

Hognoses also seem to have attitudes. One minute they are fine with you and held just find and the next they throw a tantrum. Give him a few to get use to his enclosure and try again.