This Disappears When Logged In

Aggregation/taming Veiled Chams

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Myr, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Myr

Myr New Member

I have an adult male chameleon that has never been particularly friendly; of course I don't expect him to be handled much or to enjoy it, and generally avoid coming into contact with him and stressing him out. But sometimes it is necessary, for example when I clean his cage or take him to the vet.

I've tried gradually getting him to warm up to me by placing my hand non-threateningly nearby and feeding by hand, but it hasn't made a dent in his ferociousness. He is impossible to hold and I'm very sure he would bite him if I pushed it. I had a female veiled a couple years ago who was completely fine with being held, but she was a baby when I got her and had time to warm up to me. Unfortunately, this guy (his name is Ares, somewhat fittingly) was purchased as a sub-adult and was shy of humans from the get-go.

Any suggestions on getting him to be a bit more calm? I know some owners have managed to get their chameleons to actually come to them and climb onto their hands, but I would happily settle with just getting him to tolerate being moved from his enclosure to another box. He needs a vet appointment within the next year and I'd really like for him to be minimally stressed by the experience.

Thanks!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, I would try the same thing I use with any other lizard: food. Due to their hunting methods, you can't really tong feed them like you could other species, but you could put one bug in at a time, let him eat it, then add the next, so he gets the idea that your hands or tongs mean food. Or maybe even a stick with something on the end that you could put a bug on. I have a friend that breeds panthers that lets his game bugs right off his fingers, little danger of a bite since they do it remotely, so to speak. It will take time and a lot of patience from you, but most will at least calm some once they see you as the food source.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

When I had my Chams it seemed to work to have them in an area where they can watch you to see what's going on. They do need a visual barrier though to hide behind. Lots of foliage.