This Disappears When Logged In

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by cc519, Oct 25, 2011.

1. cc519

cc519 Member

Hello everyone,

I've acquired this rosy boa about a year ago, from a pet store. When I first bought her she was into shed. That was 1 out of 3 sheds she has with me.

My questions is, is there any way to figure out the age based on the amount of sheds? The pet store didn't know how old she was and I'm really wanting to find out how old she is.

Picture:

wolf016.jpg
    wolf015.jpg
    wolf014.jpg
    wolf011.jpg
    wolf010.jpg
    wolf009.jpg
    wolf008.jpg
    wolf005.jpg

Attached Files:

2. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Welcome!

If she has only shed a few times in the one year you've had her, and assuming you have the temps and food down pat and she is not malnourished, she may be an adult. Hatchlings and young rosies shed once every month or so. Can't be certain though because then again she could be a young snake that is growing slowly. I don't think it's likely the pet store sold you a young adult or an adult. How often and what are you feeding her? When were her sheds?

Rosies reach their adult size within about 18 months and from then on will shed only 3 or 4 times a year.

3. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Unless they are papered there is really no way of knowing for sure.

4. cc519

cc519 Member

@annarawrr- I used to give her 1 mouse a week, but she refused and only accepted 1 mouse every other week. From what I've heard snakes tend to be old if they don't shed less than once a month. She has only shedded 3 in a year so far.

Is there any people out there that have 10+ year old rosys? How many times do they shed?

5. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Yes, they do shed less when they are older and reach adult size. Young rosies will eat a couple times a week, so if yours is only hungry every other week it is possible that she is nearing adulthood. It's impossible to gauge the exact age but I would put her at about 15-18 months, judging by the amount of time you've had her, her sheds and her appetite. However I don't own boas and all I know is from the research I've done, so it's possible I may be wrong!

6. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

My rosy boa sheds 3 times a year, and has since I got her at 8 years old. Our new rosy is somewhere around 9 years old, but since we've only had him around a month, I'm not sure how often he will shed.

As for getting an adult rosy from the pet store.. I can't speak for other stores, but my local pet shop will often have adult animals available as they will take in rescues and unwanted pets.

7. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I didn't think pet stores sold adult snakes! Well if they do then it's highly likely that his is an adult... As to how many years, i wouldn't know!

8. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I forgot to add that your snake is very pretty, whatever her age!

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No. Snakes do not shed on any sort of timetable but according to what they need to do. Young, rapidly growing, snakes shed more frequently than older ones whose growth has slowed down. But even the growth rates on older ones will be affected by how much they are feeding, the temperatures they are kept at, if they have an injury that needs healing. There just isn't anyway to determine exact age.

10. cc519

cc519 Member

This store also had an adult ball python when I bought her, so I dunno. Thanks everyone for the replies!

11. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Just curious, does anyone know if it's possible to tell a snake's age via blood test or something similar? I'm sure there's got to be a way!