This Disappears When Logged In

After seven long months... (GRAPHIC)

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by Brent Strande, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brent Strande

Brent Strande Elite Member

MY CHONDRO ATE!!!

Woo hoo!!!

I was able to get my chondro to eat for the first time since August 3, 2004!!!!!!

I obtained a few Zebra Finches, and within minutes, he took one down!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, the story...

Many nights he will hang looking as if he's hungry... only to show no interest in mice or rats (dead or alive!)

I finally decided today to try a bird of some sort. The first shop I called had Zebra Finches priced at $29.99 and that sounded outrageous for a meal! I then called Petco and found that they sold the birds for $12.99.

I went to Petco and the cage prices were outrageous (wanted a cage incase the bird didn't get eaten) so after a LONG time without any help, we left and got a cage at WalMart. We then went back to Petco and waited for another 10+ minutes hoping for help, people even said that they'd be with us, only to see them walk by many times later...

Still no help! While waiting around the SECOND time in Petco, a nice old lady came up and saw us looking at the birds. She saw us there still after getting everything that she needed, so asked us if we were getting birds. I said we were, and she said that if I wanted, she had plenty of birds that I could have if I wanted, as they bred faster than she could get rid of them!!!

So a half hour later I was at her house, picking up my new birds!!! And the best part (other than the chondro eating) was that Petco went from making a minimum of $56 from me... to NOTHING!!! Haha

So, now I may look into breeding these to feed him, until I can switch him over to rodents...

Either way, I'm just PUMPED that he ate for me!!!

Today is now making me feel like a little kid at Christmas!!!

2. Moldypotato

Moldypotato Elite Member

Awesome pics and I am very glad your chondro ate for you! That snake is beautiful! I wonder what the lady would say if you told her you fed her birds to your snake:p

3. Brent Strande

She never asked what they were for...

but she did say that she occasionally sends birds home with her grandchildren who don't always give proper care, so then she sends them new ones if they die... (not the greatest thing to hear :( )

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations Brendt! They say "good things come to those who wait!"
    (I have to say, though, that I thought this was going to be a birth announcement "after 7 long months" --- but still great news!!!!)

5. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Great news! You can pick up feeder chicks at Agway for 49 cents if the need comes up again.

6. venus

venus Founding Member

Congrats on the feedings. Awesome pics too.

7. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

If it only eats twice a year.... ;)

8. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

That is so cool! I'm happy that it ate for you! I think some snakes must just love birds. We saw a beautiful wild gray rat snake yesterday up on a branch at our local museum eating a sparrow, and it was obvious from the lump he already had in his belly that it was his second course! I hope your snake continues to eat for you! I know it must be a huge relief!

9. boyblue

boyblue Elite Member

congrats! hopfully its not another 7 months till it eats again, lol. rodentpro.com has some good prices on chicks.

10. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Awsome

wow those are crazy pics but congrats! :D

11. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i've never really seen a snake eat a bird or too many pics of them eating one. interesting. :)

12. Soul_Of_Fire

Soul_Of_Fire Member

Congrats dude very beautiful lookin' Condro you have. Would I be correct in guessing that its of Sorong Locale? I myself will eventually be getting into the Condros I'm gonna start with Aru Locale then Sorong and finish up with the Biak so that I have a pair of each locale LoL

13. deltro_star

deltro_star Elite Member

I love This Thread! :D Whenever anyone asks me why Im willing to pay $400+ For an Aru GTP I show them these Pics. Were talking National Geograpic Material!

14. Brent Strande

Jayapura type... (another mainland, similar to Sorong, although can't say 100% since he's CBB)

The thing is, I still have him eating like crazy, but only with birds... he'll have nothing to do with rodents, but I'm working on him...

15. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Have only just spotted this thread, congrats on getting the snake to eat Brendt.. can you do something for our male Dumerils and Royal,. they haven't eaten for 8 months now! - bloody males! :rolleyes: :D - they don't look like they haven't eaten for so long though,. same thing every year... well, saves on the feeding bill a little :p

16. GAsnakeman

GAsnakeman Elite Member

Good luck with getting it to eat rodents. I am no expert, but have many years experience with GTPs or chondros whichever you prefer. the thing about them is that they can be picky eaters.
    I used to give mine a bird occasionally as a treat (Iused to raise quails) only to find that they wouldn't go back to rodents. More than likely your snake will never go back to rodents and will expect birds from now on (ofcoarse nothing is absolute). It has already told you it dosen't fancy rodents. You just have to listen. ;) It may be a good idea to breed the fiches like you mentioned.

17. GAsnakeman

GAsnakeman Elite Member

Try dipping the food in chicken broth. I saw them do that at the Cincinnati Zoo years ago and have used it in a pinch a few times. Can't promise it will work for you, but has for me everytime except 2.

18. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Interesting, thanks for the tip. Actually our royal took his first mouse of the year last Sunday - he sporadically chooses to eat and I have no doubt he will eventually so we usually just leave him alone and throw in a mouse every couple of weeks and one time he will eat! :D

The dums is still off his food - typical again for him. Last year he had 6 rats the whole year,, male snakes! :rolleyes: :D

We tend not to be too concerned about these guys,. our male hogg island is another consistent non-feeder through the winter months, as they don't lose weight and are very healthy. I would like to see the dums eat something though before Autumn rolls round again so will definately try your advice. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.