This Disappears When Logged In

African Rock Python

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by crepers86, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

Ok so I just moved to a new area of town and due to gas prices I had to switch pets stores to get my feeders and supplies. The pet store has a 5ft (and I know it gets bigger) African Rock Python. This snake is gorgous. they want $150 for it.

Info they have on it from its previous owner
    she couldn't keep it cause she was moving out of the country and had no way to nor the money to transport it.
    It was Captive Bred not wild cought or Captive hatched. it will eat live, pre killed and F/T jumbo rats.
    it is a Male
    and very dacile and clean.

I am also thinking of saving my money instead and getting a Burmees along with a Spider and Piebald balls from this upcoming reptile expo next month.
    I have the money for the two balls how ever I am torn between getting this ARP or a Burmees at the Expo... Any sugestion and tips onwan to do

2. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

from what I know about the rocks is they are naturally very aggressive. a docile is probably under cared for, too cold etc. that's just what I have heard. no personal experience but know some very respected people...

3. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

African rocks are terribly aggressive, as stated before if it is docile, it is probably being improperly taken care of...if you are not prepared for a 20ft nasty tempered animal, go with the ball pythons!

4. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I own two ball python already, so I know the temperment of them. I am just wanting to get the two morphs. I already own two normals.

I am just debating on rather to get the African Rock or wait till the expo and get the burmees. Either I am sit up for both but I just love this african rocks colors and patterns however I know even one that seems to be docile at a younger age maybe a little bit more aggressive, I have never handled an ARP but I have experience with Burmees, Retics, and Redtail C. Boas. I may also have enough already if I wait till the expo to get the two balls, a burmees, and Redtail C. Boa. I want a retic but I am not ready to add one to my collection just yet. How ever if I go ahead and get this African rock this week then I wont be able to get the Burmees or Redtail

So from experience should I just wait til the expo and get what I really want or should I just buy on whats desired at the moment because I have the money for it.

5. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Wait, ARP's don't get a "little bit more aggressive" they are NASTY, even though you love the colors/patterns,are you ready for an animal that wants to kill you every time you work with it?

Wait and do as you originally planned...plus look at the website below, you may need a permit for the ARP

Welcome to Texas Reptiles.com :: TRBA

6. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

If you don't feel comfortable with a retic then you should not get a rock. A ball python does NOT prepare you for a rock python and they are notorious for being nasty snakes. I have worked with quite a few big ones and it is an adventure every time. Save your money and get something that you can comfortably handle rather than getting an animal just because it is pretty.

7. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

No I am just not ready to add a retic to my collections I have worked with retics over african rocks. I have a friend that owns two retics and I help him out all the time... He owns several larger snakes. a BurmBall, 2 Burms and two retics as well as a Rainbow Boa. But yeah ok. I think I will wait and let someone else pic up the African Rock from the pet store.

Wow I was not aware of the need of permits I am so glad you posted that link because when I asked the store owner if a permit would be required to posses the African Rock she said not in this area. Which maybe true and I believe I can confirm that with animal control and local authories. How ever $20 or even $60 for a permit is not bad, and I since I am wanting to get into Ball Python Breeding with in the next two years I have a lot more research to do on these permits

8. monkeytechahoo

monkeytechahoo Elite Member

Now I'm not a snake person, we just got our first ball last year, but my kids & I saw a show on Discovery or Animal Planet, one of those type channels, and it was something to the name of "Swamp Wars" and it had an episode with a african rock python. What was said from the animal cops & regular cops, is that they are very aggressive. When they responded to an animal relinquishment call and it was a rock python, even the owner, who was a big lookin guy, said that the snake had gotten to be too much for him. He'd taken his last bite and couldn't even get her out of the cage anymore, so he knew it was too dangerous for even him.

9. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Most African rock pythons are notoriously aggressive, and would bite yours soon as look at you. There are however, exceptions to every rule. The one at the pet store would most likely be the nastiest one around when it got acclimated to you and your home. Also, I don't know the going rate for Afrocks in Texas, but I seem to recall seeing them at the Repticon in South Carolina for around $75.00 so they pet store is getting a 100% mark up for selling a probable near adult giant snake, (nice work if you can get it...). Check out FaunaClassifieds Home Page or kingsnake.com - the information portal for reptile and amphibian hobbyists. (only for prices,mind you) and you can get a pretty decent idea of prices for all snakes.

10. I've kept African rocks before and would rather deal with retics than rocks. General disposition is testy at best and can be downright aggressive. Males have slightly better temperament than females and do not get anywhere near as big usually staying closer to 10-12'. In all fairness to the rocks I never got bit by any that I kept but it was not from lack of trying. They tend to get more aggressive as they get larger. Burms can be more dangerous as they have laid back demeanor's and many keepers get to complacent with them.

11. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

My advice to you is go back and read all the posts in this thread and consider them all carefully. If you notice,everyones experience with Rock Pythons is basically the same...

12. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

Yeah this threads a lil old I've decided to get my spider ball, pied ball. I am for sure getting this 7 foot red tail I've found for $70 on craigslist... I also found some one selling a normel burmese that's at 8 feet for $100 or if I wanna wait and get an albino

13. BuDaRaze

BuDaRaze New Member

You should be Careful in deciding to keep this kind. african rock python are known very notorious, once they grow bigger and able to overpower a human, they will probably do that, i saw it in national geographic or animal planet where african rocks is the topic and they used to interview the guy whos child was killed and eaten by his pet afrock during at night when he never notice that this animal is able to escape in the cage because this is very very strong. after waking up. hes trying to check his son in the bed but no one is there. suddenly he saw hi pet afrock under the bed and it was full already . and theres alot of incidence like this that happens in africa . . even a wild or captive afrocks :) SO GODBLESS DUDE . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.