This Disappears When Logged In

African Millipedes Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by carmen martin, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carmen martin

    carmen martin New Member

    we just got my son a african giant millipede. but now im hearing they might be dangerous? they secrete something that can make you sick? is this true?
     
  2. furryscaly

    furryscaly Elite Member

    Millipedes are poisoness. They have the ability to secrete poison through pores in their sides. However, it shouldn't be a problem. Although they don't like to be touched, it takes more than that to get them to ooze. Plus you'd have to swallow the toxin for it to do anything, and I don't think it would do much to you anyway. I can tell yiou first hand though, I've been oozed before. Its yellow and it can stain, plus it realls stinks and the vapors burn the eyes and nose. Like I said though, you leave the 'pede alone, and he'll have no reason to ooze you.
     
  3. eper-ani

    eper-ani Elite Member

    I forgot what exactly they secrete but it stinks and its hard to get off. Not dangerous at all, more annoying then anything.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page