This Disappears When Logged In

African Clawed Frogs Tank Set Up Question

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by gbickel, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbickel

gbickel New Member

Hi my name is Gwen and I am a newbie here.
    In my classroom last year I had a 20 gallon community set up. When summer came, I moved all my fish to my home. My principal has a 40 gal hexagonal and needed to do some work on it so moved the 4 or 5 fish she had to mine. It has been set up for a year so it was okay.
    A couple of the fish were large 4" or so. Anyway, for some reason the fish did not get fed for a few days and some died. She finally set up a new tank and took the other fish out.
    She turned off my filtration system so it has been off for a week.
    Sooo...here is the question.
    I want to reset up the tank but used 2 or 3 clawed frogs instead of fish. I know that the cycle system is important, but do you think it has been disrupted severely if the filtration has been off. Also, since some fish died in there (the two big ones), I am wondering if I should just totally start over. I had planned to drain about 1/2 the water to keep the bacterial in tact. If I do start over, how long should I wait before adding frogs? Thank you.

2. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

I have no idea about the answer to your question, but I wanted to welcome you here and wish you good luck. :]
    Also, I'm sure someone here will have an answer for you.
    It's just a matter of time. Haha

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Healthy fish do not die of starvation after just a few days! Something caused their death and it wasn't missing a few feedings.
    Also since the filters have been off, anaerobic bacteria have been growing and just turning them back on would flood the tank with some really nasty stuff!
    I would strip it, sterilize everything and start over from scratch.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I agree with Merlin on this. A healthy fish won't die after 4 days of not being fed. (I should know I'm horrible about feeding my fish, but have been told by a few fish experts they are just about the right weight, go figure.)

I would strip the tank, bleach it out, and cycle it for 2 weeks before adding frogs. You can actually buy bottled bacteria, although I personally think its a waste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.