This Disappears When Logged In

African Clawed Frog

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by ashley25091228, May 22, 2012.

1. ashley25091228

ashley25091228 New Member

Hello! I recently 'adopted' a male ACF from a friend who is moving and didn't want to take him. He was given to me in a relatively small BOWL with a plant floating at the top an large river rocks at the bottom. She said she has had him 2-3 years, and I believe he looks pretty healthy despite his not so wonderful living conditions.

We moved him into his very own 10 gallon tank with many rocks and hiding places. My question is about filtration. We set the tank up with a sponge filter in it. He has been in the tank now for about 5 hours, and I have read conflicting things about their sensitivity to water vibrations. I got nervous and when I went in to turn off the light I unplugged the filter to hopefully help him settle in. I plan on turning it back on for a few hours tomorrow.

Do you think I should just nix the filter? He has been in the care of my friend for 2-3 years and has never had a filter, do you think he is too old now to adjust to the vibrations? We have other tanks in the house that we do water changes on weekly, so we'll be cleaning his tank weekly regardless. I'm just not sure what the best path is to take! My kids adore him and I don't want to do anything that will harm him!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Good question. I'm not familiar with frogs. But hopefully someone can answer that for you.

3. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I had 2 in a 44gallon corner tank. To get around the vibrations/current I used a fluval internal filter. It didn't seem to bother them at all. Be very careful to make sure the lid of the tank is sealed off they are escape artisits, I found on of mine dried up and dead in the living room. Also make sure if you put fish in with them that they can not fit inside their mouth. I "had" over 40 guppies in with them lol!!

4. ashley25091228

ashley25091228 New Member

There is no way for him to get out, we have made sure of that haha! The only 'openings' are a little bit of space around the sponge filter tube and the glass hood. Hes a pretty big boy, theres no getting through there!! I still have the sponge filter off. He doesn't seem interesting in eating yet, so I'm assuming he's still pretty stressed out. I think I will turn the filter on for a couple hours today and then turn it back off and continue doing that daily for a little longer each time and hope that he adjusts. Unless someone has a better idea or thinks he'll be okay. It's very possible I'm overreacting haha!

I have read however that sometimes they get out and their owners find them all dried up and assume they're dead but that they're really not? And to put them in a small amount of water with their nostrils above water and within an hour they 'come back' haha cool little animals! :)

5. thatguy87

thatguy87 Well-Known Member

Pretty cool frogs we've got about a dozen in the store but there nitorious for having eyes bigger than there stomach lol have had to pull fish almost bigger than the frog outta there mouths

6. swearit

swearit Member

I have four of them. Two females and two males in a 50 Gal corner aquarium. They have a filter and always have. I dont have it hooked up to the timer for the light it is on 24 hours a day. Ive never had a problem nor has the woman who had them for six years before me. I think you just need to make sure it is a good filter. One that isnt very loud :)