This Disappears When Logged In

Advice - Future Boa Owner

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by ferasaeva, Mar 15, 2015.

1. ferasaeva

ferasaeva Well-Known Member

Hi, in the future I was thinking about getting a Columbian Red Tail Boa. I currently have a Ball Python, my first snake, and I really enjoy having a snake as a pet. My Ball Python is about 3-3.5ft. and very very sweet. I haven't had many problems taking care of him and as my next snake (in the future, not soon) I would like something a bit bigger, but still docile and not extremely difficult to care for. In your opinion, would a Columbian Red Tail be a good choice, or should I look into another type of snake? Thank you :)

2. Horrorphile

Horrorphile Active Member

I went the same way as you and started with a Ball Python and then got a BCI because I wanted something larger. As far as being docile I have seen them go both ways but mine is extremely docile and hasn't struck at a person once in the years that I have had her (can't say the same for my BCC). I now keep about 20 different species of snake and have the outlook that size really doesn't matter. I find myself interacting more with some of the smaller/rarer species especially when showing them to people who are not as comfortable. That being said if you definitely want something larger, you can't go wrong with a good BCI. I would also check out carpet pythons. They are one of my favorite types to work with.

3. ferasaeva

Thank you so much :) I love hearing from people more expirienced than I am. I'm very new to all this but I fell in love with reptiles when I got my first iguana. Thanks again :)

4. Mattersmore29

Mattersmore29 Member

A Bci boa is a great choice if you want a lager snake. My boa is a sweetheart... i know that some are different in temperment but I haven't ever ran across a Bci boa that was not docile with good care and handling (Except for scared little babies). I started with ball pythons myself ,then a khal strain albino boa... now a retics (whole nother world compared to boa constrictors lol). In my opinion boa constrictors are a great choice in stepping up to a bigger snake. They make great pets when cared for properly. I keep a small number of snakes so that I can spend a lot of time with them, so for me to decide to get another snake is a big decision for me. Have fun choosing your next snake.

5. ferasaeva

Thank you :) ! This helps me a lot with deciding on my next snake. I've always admired boas and I can't wait to have my own.

6. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

We have an unrelated pair of baby bci crosses, both are great for disposition, the male is a bit more active than the female when handled. If you want a larger but less bulky snake a carpet python or Dominican red mountain boa are also easy to handle IME. The DRMB's in particular are very mellow snakes, never strike or bite a any size or age. Worst they'll ever do is musk if startled. Carpet pythons are sometimes prone to be nippy as babies, but if so they usually grow out of it. Mine has been a really mellow little snake from the start though, only trouble was getting him/her to start feeding. After a few weeks of offering f/t I had to find a live hopper mouse, but after that f/t have been accepted as well as live.

7. ferasaeva

Thank you so much, this gives me a lot more to consider. :)

8. bernie

bernie Member

I first had a normal ball python and that was so much fun that after much research, I got a Hog Island Boa. Both are great snakes with the boa being a bit faster and exciting to watch (and handle).

9. bernie

bernie Member

Here are a couple of pics of my little Hog Island Boa that I call Turbo.

Attached Files:

10. bernie

bernie Member

Also the boa is a much better eater than the ball. Last night my ball got freaked when I was trying to feed her (my son had some loud tunes or a movie going in the area and then just as she seemed to be ready to hit the rat my wife comes flying around the corner - the snake slid back into her hide and would not touch her food). I'll try again in a couple of days, making sure that it is darker and quieter than last night. The boa, on the other hand, knows my routine, at feeding time and she is ready to rip her food right off the tongs. The only time that she did not eat was when she was shedding (could not understand it, at the time, but also she is a very light coloured snake and does not show shedding like the ball does).