This Disappears When Logged In

Advice For Mediterranean Gecko

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by Chris peel, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Chris peel

Chris peel New Member

My son found a gecko in his play room and wanted to keep it. We went oit and got an enclosure for it. With a hide on the cool side and the hot side. I first tried freeze dried crickets but they're bigger than the gecko. I then tried freeze dried flies and again he is not eating them. Today is 3 weeks that we have had him and he doesn't seem.tp be eating. He is very small. I got some crickets from petsmart and the small ones are still too big for him. I did cit one in half and he was able to swallow that one but no luck today. Just getting worried about the little guy. Any siggestions for feeding such a small one would be great

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Honestly your going to have a hard time with something wild caught and that small... you could try flightless fruit flies? Or pinhead crickets. Keep in mind if he's stressed out, or conditions aren't right he's not going to eat anyway. When they're real little like that it can be a real challenge.

3. Chris peel

Chris peel New Member

He pounces on the crickets when we put them in there but they just seem to be too big. He tries to swallow them but just can't. There was one cricket that I cut in half, it was already small and he did eat that one.

Attached Files:

4. Chris peel

Chris peel New Member

5. AmityReptiles

Try pinhead crickets then, or maybe slightly larger if he can eat half of a small. Like a 1/8" cricket.
    Vita-Bugs 1/8" Live Crickets | Petco
    If you think these would be too large or aren't sure, you can always get pinhead crickets and if they are too small they will grow.

6. AmityReptiles

What are your basking temps? Also you need a digital thermometer, and it needs to be down where the gecko is. Not up at the top.

7. Chris peel

Chris peel New Member

Got some flightless fruit flies from petco. The packaged extra small crickets were all dead. He has been eating the fruit flies. He seems to be doing well. Thabka for the info.