This Disappears When Logged In

Adult Mice For Adult Corn Snakes?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Dan01, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I will be needing to order more mice for my corn snake, who I have fed hopper mice since aquiring him from one of my brother's friends (who was wanting to move on into gecko-land). I'm fairly confident that he is four-and-a-half years old, and I've been feeding him two hoppers for a while. So, before I order more mice, I was wondering if anyone on here feeds their adult corns adult mice (because, I obviously can't check if the mice are as wide as my snake over the internet)?

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Simplest thing would be to get a single adult mouse locally and offer it to the snake. If it's too large it won't be eaten, but I doubt that's going to happen. Corn and other rat snakes have a surprising capacity for seeming large prey, though my carpet pthons put them to shame, lol. I just picked up a new baby IJ about the same size as a corn snake that would be eating pinky mice. Her first meal when I brought her home was a fuzzy mouse. Didn't have any fuzzies last Saturday, so I offered her a hopper, and this wee snake smaller around than my pinky finger managed to swallow it. I do believe it was about the limit for her to stretch, and it took a couple minutes, but she digested it w/out any problems.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Instead of adult mice I would go with rat pups. They are about the same size but have much more meat to them.

4. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

Really? Well, I'd likely be stoned for feeding my snake rats (rats are loved at my house), plus I'd feel bad because the place they'd be stored is right next to my own rats. I'll think about it

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There is no reason to feed live rodents. I have yet to see a cornsnake that would not take F/T.

6. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

Even frozen rats would cause some...trouble. As long as I still call them mice, though, they may work. The problem comes at my house because the rats are so smart, like little puppy dogs, and everybody loves them.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Corns are pigs, and very few are picky about what they eat. An adult corn can easily take a small rat or large mouse.

In the long run, you have to do what's best for the snake, though.

8. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I assume you mean "go with the rats" by that.