This Disappears When Logged In

Adult Male Anole With 2 Large Lumps On Neck Behind Ears. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by TerryvrTexas, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:54 PM.

1. TerryvrTexas

TerryvrTexas New Member

My husband was sweeping in the garage when Lizzy got hit pretty hard with the broom. The lizard would not move and appeared to be blind in one eye, so we decided to keep him in captivity since we knew he would die if we let him loose. He did not move for the first couple of days and I hand fed him and had to do that for the first week and the eye has never fully opened and I have had to hand feed him since. Below shows how he is living in his new home (in a 15 gallon aquarium} since we t00k him in:

In captivity for about 5 to 6 months
    Previous injuries healed
    Blind in one eye, opens it a little
    Heat lamp for reptiles (Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp 50 W) and sunlight through picture window in the room he is in. I just found out this lamp does not have UVB, which he requires. I am changing immediately
    Eats gut loaded crickets, one or two daily or every other day based on what he wants
    Is definitely not overweight
    I did have sand in the aquarium for about a week but then covered it up with Aspen bedding. It has been this way since after the first two weeks we had him
    Have pictures of lumps and aquarium. Lumps are not hard and have grown in size within the last couple months.
    Has a water dish and two plants (one real and one plastic), an oak wood branch to climb on and a rock-like perch. (All can be seen in pictures)
    Have had to hand feed him since we took him in from his injuries
    He is not eating as well. He used to always be on the wood piece near the heat lamp, but lately he has been on the bottom of the cage
    I DO HAVE PICTURES SHOWING THE LUMPS AND THE AQUARIUM. Please advise if I can do anything myself to help with his recovery :(
    One person told me it could be like a cyst or pimple where the vet uses a needle to prick it and then lets it all drain followed by an antibiotic

Can't really take to vet as we have 5 cats (mainly elderly) and care for other animals (and at one point a squirrel 2 days old that the mother would not take. This squirrel has since been released to outdoors since Texas does not allow you to keep). If Lizzy's life depends on a vet, then we will have to go since we are the type that caused all of his injuries in the first place.

Thank you so much for any help anyone can provide. We have really grown to love Lizzy very much and would like to make sure he is in great health.

Attached Files:

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Over the years these bumps seem to have become an increasingly common thing. Many of the threads I read referred to them appearing after injuries, aggressive mating, calcium deficiencies, etc. Any number of things could cause the bumps but without knowing what they are exactly, we would literally be guessing. The problem that many have reported is that when left untreated, they continue to grow causing immobility. Anoles that hang out on the ground like yours typically means something is wrong. The vet is really your only trustworthy option in this scenario.

I noted that you said you allow sun in the tank through a window. How are you monitoring his tanks temps? Sun coming from a window can have the same effect as what happens to a car when its sunny. The heat in the tank builds up so high that it is literally dangerous.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, adding to what Rich has said, UVB does not pass through glass, if the lizard survives you`ll need to provide a UVB emitting bulb/tube in/on top of the enclosure.

4. TerryvrTexas

TerryvrTexas New Member

I have already done this,
    Zella heat and UVB both heat and job purchased, Reptisun 5.0 UVB plus the heat bulb as well.
    I have cleaned out the aquarium, took out all sand, bedding, plant etc. Down to bare glass,
    There is a humidity gauge, EKO jungle plant and a pump reptile mister. I am still not sure what to use for ground cover. I stated earlier that I had seen him on the ground and that was a concern. That was 2 days only, he is always up high and currently under the lamp area in the aquarium and has remained up high since those 2 days.
    I gave him Flukers repta - boost, I gut load the crickets gut load the crickets before feeding him.

I know this is only a start but he has been moving around more and has puffed his throat (which had not been done in the past 3 or 4 weeks as far as I have seen) which made me feel real good. Does anyone know what the bumps are ? That is my next step to work on, I want to help him since we hurt him with the broom he also has 2 toes with claws on one of the back feet that were hurt with the broom or before (two toes stick up, not used) and do not know when or how they were hurt. Even if he were to get better after seeing the vet, I think he can never go back in the wild and fen for himself, (if he could I would let him have is freedom) that is why I have spent about $200 on everything we have purchased even though I never intended on keeping him, ( since 5 cats, 2 snakes, Oscar fish, 2 African Clawed Frogs, Squirrels we work with and any othe hurt animal that is left unable to make it on this own temporarily) So our hands are pretty full at this time. I thank everyone and any other help anyone can give me would be appreciated. Again I have read things to use for ground cove
    r and articles that say use A,B, or C. In another article elsewhere say never use A,B, or C :confused:because... So it can be very hard to know what is to be used. As far as the window, I was just saying its not a totally dark room. Its a room where the lizard is in the corner there is a window in the middle of the room so sunlight gets in like any room in the day, its just not dark inside. Will add photo later.

5. TerryvrTexas

TerryvrTexas New Member

Calcium deficiencies, I read about that later and do believe that was a problem and am helping to correct that while doing the other changes I am doing now.

Rich likes this.
  6. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Sorry if I read over it but did he have the bumps when you first got him or are they new?

7. TerryvrTexas

TerryvrTexas New Member

He got them about a month ago. He did not have them initially.