This Disappears When Logged In

Adult Carpet Python Feeding?

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by maryelizabeth, Nov 3, 2012.

1. maryelizabeth

maryelizabeth Elite Member

So a while ago I posted about a carpet python that I had rescued.
    She is doing great, and I have been feeding her a lot because she was neglected and had no food, water, or heat for over 3 months.
    I fed her on the same schedule as my baby corn snake (every 5 days) to fatten her up so she would shed and we could get on a schedule.
    She had been eating one mouse per feeding, except the first one and today, when she got two mice.

She shed last night and I fed her two mice this morning, which she eagerly took.
    I fed her two because I noticed the blue eyes about a week ago and was waiting for her to finish shedding before I fed her again.
    Now that she has shed and is all pretty and shiny and healthy, how often should I feed her?
    I know they don't have to eat much, but I want to keep her full and happy.
    Also, I have been feeding her mice just because the pet store where I get them was out of rats. When I get rats, if she doesn't like them, because I've heard that happens, is it okay to just feed her two mice? I know there is more calcium, but is is really that bad?

Thanks.

64549_3922471300521_430548741_n.jpg (over 6 feet)

Attached Files:

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Wow big carpet python. Yes I would start small with a small rat. With that size she is she should be fine with even a medium rat!!. Start with once a week. Question do you feed live, stunned, or f/t? If its f/t then you could just refreeze. If not, you could feed to another snake if you have more than one. That's what I would do.

I feed my adults bi-weekly. Babies up to 1.5-2 yrs get once a week then 2 weeks after that. I feed f/t though and I can refreeze or feed to my big momma Boa Ruby who will eat anything whenever (were talking 2 jumbo rats within a week)

I'm worried with the one and 2 mice continuing at this point. While it was a perfect thing considering state now, it doesn't have much nutritional value. Try rats first then well go from there. If you have any questions feel free to msg me.

3. justor

justor Elite Member

If you absolutely must, you can feed mice (she will probably need more than two per feeding). A carpet that size should definitely be on rats though. My little 2011 girl is almost ready for small rats, and she's only about 4 feet long. IJs can be stubborn with rats, but you can try scenting it as a mouse. You can withhold food from her for a few weeks if you need to. It won't hurt her. One decent sized rat every 2-3 weeks would be good for a girl her size.

4. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

^^^^^
    There is a reason that carpet python owners are so adament about switching to rats. My girl is under 2' and is easily putting down decent sized rat pups (size of a smaller adult mouse) every 7-9 days. What kind of carpet do you have btw?

5. maryelizabeth

She is an Irian Jaya. I have no idea how old she is, or if she is even a "she". I am assuming she is full sized, and because she is a little over 6 feet I am guessing female.
    I have never tried feeding rats, but I will get some next time my pet store has them in stock.
    I feed all my snakes frozen thawed.

6. justor

justor Elite Member

I think it's safe to assume she's a female based on her size, but you never know.

7. maryelizabeth

I'm not that worried about the sex. She is just a pet, so knowing is more just for fun. But I like her as a girl, it makes her seem less scary. lol.

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I hope she takes a rat for you. Please let us know.

9. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I think Austin hit it right on the nose. I second the rat thing. I would say medium rat every 2 weeks or so and she'll be fine. Your carpet is around the same size as my female and that size rat and schedule works well for her size.