This Disappears When Logged In

Adoptions and Rescues accepted

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by jimijaw, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimijaw

jimijaw Active Member

Just for you Venus a closer shot of my only Beardie "Goldie" female
    [​IMG]
    Jimi

2. jimijaw

jimijaw Active Member

Here is a pic of Lucky a rescued male Leopard Gecko who is blind, he can find his water and calcium dish just fine but needs to be hand fed, he's a super guy and eats great!!! He is even fat and sassy compared to when I got him. Even blind he is very independant and will tolerate being held for about 1 minute, but he does not bite and never tried. I have to feed him with bambo tongs or he wont eat cause he can smell my fingers.
    [​IMG]
    I have gotten really attached to him, yesterday he even let me help him shed his skin. He couldnt get the shed off of his head but he sat there and let me peel it off for him and he took care of the rest. I named him Lucky because he was lucky to still be alive when I got him. The powdery substance on the floor is his calcium as he sometimes walks through his dish and spreads it around. These are the kinds of creatures I live for, special needs that no one else wants. It gives me such a great feeling of satisfaction and happiness to be there for them when they need help. Jimi

3. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

thats great! its good to know you do that kind of stuff and put all that time and effort into making them happy. :)

4. nicole

nicole Elite Member

looks like we have a lot in common, lol. I have a few special ed reptiles myself. I mostly stick to the iguanas, but however I am a softie also, so there are way more in here than just the iggys. You are very lucky to have a retired vet helping you for no charge! Man my vets cost me an arm and a leg, lol. They do excellant work however and are there on demand no matter what time of the day or night, so I guess I should not complain, lol. It is nice to know other people who do rescues! Right now I have an abnoxious sulcata ramming me in the foot, apparently his dinner is late:eek: :D Do you take in large snakes and large tortoises?

5. jimijaw

jimijaw Active Member

Thank you its what I live for and it keeps me going. Becoming disabled was very difficult on me as I felt life was over but then I was given a snake that couldnt eat due to stomatitis (mouth rot) I took him to my vet friend and got him all fixed up and then found a home for him and thats just what I needed so Ive been doing it ever since. It gives me a reason for being.

I agree it sounds like we are both softies! LOL! but I love it. I do have room for 1 snake up to 12 to 14 foot at the present time. I also have 300 feet of chain link fence and a large dog house so I do have room for any large Tortoises. I have considered adopting a large tortoise but I cant find any at present but I sure will take them in on rescue. Thanks to both of you!!! Jimi

6. nicole

nicole Elite Member

you cant find tortoises? It seems to be dump your turtle/tort season here. 10 days ago I ended up with three red eared sliders on the porch in a bucket, found by my real estate agent. I had already moved from the home I had sold. Geesh, some people! I had to leave my phone number and current address with the new buyers and tell them not to open any unwanted or unusual packages left on the property. They actually took it pretty well, but were very quick to want my address and phone number, lol

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! Now wouldn't THAT be a surprise!
    Open an unexpected package and some thing big and scaley slithers out!:eek:
    Though SOME of us would enjoy it!:D

8. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I dont think they would be very impressed as he kept asking me "now all of your reptiles are accounted for right?" I wanted to tell him well most of them but I cant seem to find my anaconda, but give me a call if he shows up:eek:
    I am aware that I have a sick sense of humor, ................but wouldnt that have been too funny:D

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It depends.
    Is the sale already closed!
    {chuckling evilly!}

10. jimijaw

jimijaw Active Member

Yes believe it, I cant find any juvies or adults only babies. I have already set up a 100ft by 200ft chain link fenced in area buried 12 inches in the ground so they cant dig out and I have a very large heated dog house for the winter although I will probably be out shoveling snow out of their encloser every few days her as much snow as we get. LOL! Jimi

11. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Just wait Jimi as soon as people find out you do rescues, you will have more calls than what you can possibly take, lol

12. jimijaw

jimijaw Active Member

Thanks Nicole, That would be nice although I hope it doesnt get to where I have to turn any away. I had the most wonderful experience just yesterday, A man who brought me his dog to adopt out 2 months ago came by and had a white tail fawn with the spots, he said the fawns mother was hit and killed by his farm. I took the fawn and called the DNR. I got to baby sit this beautiful animal for 3 hours before the DNR came and picked it up. I really enjoyed that. I was very suprised by the DNR agents attitude as he scolded me about messing with wildlife and proceeded to tell me that I should of left the fawn where it was and let nature take its course. I mean the fawn was laying next to its mother in the road, the agent just seemed pretty cold blooded and harsh. Oh well I enjoyed the 3 hours I had with the fawn:D Jimi

13. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Let nature take its course:eek: Thats cruel!! Are they going to rehab it or put it to sleep?

14. jimijaw

jimijaw Active Member

He said they have a wildlife bioliogist who will take it in and once weaned will be returned to the wild. All I can do is hope and pray they do right by it. Jimi

15. venus

venus Founding Member

Awww....I hope it makes it. Keep us posted...

Everytime I see the letters DNR...being in the medical field,,I always think Do Not Resusitate, lol

16. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Funny Venus I that the same thing at first, lol.

17. jimijaw

jimijaw Active Member

I have the DNR agents name and the office he's out of so I will make weekly calls to check up on it. Jimi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.