This Disappears When Logged In

Adoption? Here's your chance in So. FL

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by Dogboa, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dogboa

Dogboa Elite Member

2. nicole

nicole Elite Member

That is an excellent idea! i like the fact that they are not asking questions. I also like the new guidelines for those particular species that are getting dumped in the Everglades.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

thats awesome.

4. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Wow, Thats AWESOME!!!

5. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I still think that some people will dump their unfortunate pets, but hopefully this should help that a lot.

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Wonderful idea, I love that they are going to have tests and require permits!

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I wonder for how long it will last. There isn't going to be as many responsible owners showing up to adopt them as there will be dropoffs.

8. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

The test idea, is a good one... maybe get rid of the over 7-8 ft laws and have special tests for "large snakes" would help weed out shady owners... improve husbandry skills ect... and in a lot of places, rescues cant have "giants" I think that should change too... a rescue should be exempt from the size laws, but have to honor them when adopting out... But over all its awesome what the zoo is doing...

9. nicole

nicole Elite Member

A lot of rescues are usually staffed with the person who started them,, so in reality a lot of rescues have no business having "giants". I have been doing rescue for years and that does not qualify me to have the giant snakes. Another thing to,, as most rescues run out of their home where would they put so many giant snakes (housed correctly in their giant enclosures)? I have a large home and could maybe squeeze one in here, but there would definately be no more furniture in the house, lol. I think a lot of people start with their heart in the right place but get overwhelmed when they just dont stop coming in.
    I have to follow the laws of the city,,which is no snake over 10 feet in the city limits. I have no issues with that as I feel most people have no business owning an anaconda, burmese, reticulated, or rock python, including ,many rescues. I am not saying that noone should own them just that the responsible people are few and far between. I have a red tail in here that gives me a good run for my money,, he is meaner than snot and if he had his way would just as soon kill me than deal with me ever again. I cannot do anything with him unless their is someone else here to help me. My poor hubby has had to pull him off me once,, that is scary. In that instance,, under good conscience it renders him unadoptable. As with most rescue animals,, you dont get the pick of the litter,, they are there because they have issues,, wether it be medical, or personality. I did have a placement for him but just cant do it with for fear that he would hurt someone seriously.
    In reality what are rescues going to do with a 20 foot snake that has the personality of Jack the Ripper, you cannot adopt them out. After Derich my snake guy moved to another state,, I would not take them for any reason. And I only took them for a couple of days until they were transferred
    to his place.

I think the the tests and permits is great for the people who actually follow the laws,, that should weed out about 10 percent of the people who have no business owning them, now the other 90 percent will just keep them without noone knowing.
    I am with Kriminaal on this one,, there will definately be way more dropped off than adopted.
    If they did that up hear Oscar would be the first in line if he didnt stop ramming me and stepping on my toes:D (okay I am really kidding)
    BHut I must go serve his highness breakfast and draw his warm bath, and make sure it is the correct temperature so he doesnt grunt at me (cuss me out in tort language) Maybe I will light candles and play soft music for him too :eek: :D

10. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I am in complete agreement there. They sell anacondas at the local pet store here, and it's pretty easy to get your hands on a burm or reticulated python just about anywhere. But they sell them when they're like two feet long, and the owners, most of the time, have no idea that they're going to be 15-20 feet long. I think it's awful, and I definitely think sales of these should be limited to those with experience and knowledge of exactly what they're getting into.

Oscar is one pampered little dictator.

11. Sphinx

Sphinx Elite Member

I can't say I don't want a burm or a retic but I know I can't handle the responsibility right now of a huge snake like that. I like the idea of a test and the microchip inserted inside the animals. Actually I wish they could put a GPS locator in them as well so when Mr. Sneaky decides that he can push up the lid on his tank with 50lbs on top of it he will be easier to find. lol.

12. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Nicole, you have one lucky tort... He sounds like hes got one heck of a personality
    As far as the giant snake issue... I wish as a rescue, had the room and time for more... but with the care and space they need... Goodness Id have to hire a small country... and everyone knows that just oh so many responsible owners are pounding down the door to adopt (rolls eyes) used giant snakes that eat cute bunnies... sorry I think that you should have to take a 10 page test to own one

13. nicole

nicole Elite Member

oh most definately,, I cannot keep enough snakes in because of the demand from all the responsible great owners, lol

14. Dogboa

Dogboa Elite Member

Once the source is curtailed and federal law comes into play (shipping something into a state where it is illegal without verification that the purchaser has the correct permit), we should see a great reduction in numbers. It will nolonger be profitable to sell "reptiles of concern" at the local petshop, minors will not be able to purchase and it won't be profitable for breeders to produce for this market in Florida.

If someone is KEEPING a "reptile of concern" illegally, that is better than someone releasing one illegally.

It will be interesting to see what impact the new rules will have on the Daytona Expo. That should be a key indicator of effectiveness if the vendors of these species aren't present.

Craig

15. okreptilerescue

okreptilerescue Elite Member

yup- i have to butt in here....

I"ve ran the same rescue for several years. Here, they are perfectly legal- and for that reason, i will never leave this city.
    I run my rescue out of my home- and that means my 2 1/2 car garage, my den, my bathroom, my bedroom, my livingroom, my son even has his own pet snake that came in as a rescue and now we use him for education (a little rosy boa)...

We specialize in large snakes and iguanas.
    I am set up to have 9-12 adult (5 foot plus) iguanas and i'm sure i could squeeze some smaller ones in somewhere...

I am set up to have about 12-15 LARGE snakes.... I rarely get giants that ARE giant... Most of what i get is around 7 foot... I have gotten some bigger girls in, 2 of them we kept- they are now used for education, the first big girl is 14 foot and about as big around as a football. The second big girl is a BIG GIRL, she's pushing 17 foot and is a little smaller than a basketball... now that is hard to imagine i know....

needless to say when i started the rescue, i did NOT dive head first into giants and iguanas... it just happened... we started small, got a few IGs, red tails, lots of corn snakes, beardies and a few others... then we got dozens of 5-7 food burms and they went into loving homes of people i know personally. I have not once had anyone get throuhg my adoption process for a big snake. most come in and see our big girls and leave with a red tail boa instead. People just dont know that they DO get that big...

I have had the mean ones come in, nothing worse than the afrocks... *shudder* that was an exciting couple of days.... and yes, he did get adopted to someone i know personally, much more experienced than even i am and has several afrocks of his own before adopting ours.

i've had a few big mean snakes, most times they're so slow on the strike, i can move and when they get a few GOOD meals in them, calm down just fine. The meanest things we get are corn snakes- those things are evil...

anyway- yes most people have no buisness having a giant snake... no clue how to care for one. we have devoted our lives to caring for these reptiles and unconditionally loving them. If an animal is "unadoptable" then it is unadoptable. I have a 15 year old iguna right now, she will not get adopted b/c of her age- did i turn her down? NO! i have pleanty of room here for her to lay around and live out the few short years she has left in her....

all this makes me wonder if that zoo would let me take a few of those critters home.... i'd make a trip out there for that...

anywho... i'm done

Beth

16. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I should clarify in my statement above that when I did take them temporarily,, I lived in a house in the county, which has no regulations on those particular snakes. Most of the ones that came in were very large, mean and nasty as soon as they were warmed up to proper temps. Feeding did not help the attitude much either, lol.
    But, one thing you have to remember is that I live in a military town, so I get a lot of the animals that were"cool" for the young navy kids to have and show off,, up until the point they got mean, too big, or the owver was being transferred somewhere else and the animal could not go with :mad: But thats another story I could go on and on about,,,,,,,,,you know you will be transferred and cant take the animal,, so why get it in the first place,,,ugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.