This Disappears When Logged In

Adjustment Period

Discussion in 'Hognose Snakes' started by Reg, Jul 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Reg

Reg Member

Hello all! I just brought my male Axanthic Hognose Perrin home yesterday. I know they have an adjustment period before they calm down and will feed. How long should I wait before trying to feed him for the first time? The breeder told me he hasn't eaten in 5 day and has been eating once a week so should I wait a few days before trying or should I wait the full week or 2 for him to get completely settled before I try feeding him? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would wait at least 3 days before feeding or handling the snake. Allow it to adjust uninterrupted.

3. Reg

Reg Member

OK cool. I was going to try feeding him this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Established Member

From my experience with male hoggies they can be a little difficult to start feeding in a new environment. Let us know if you have any difficulties, there's a couple tricks you can try. Also if you have questions on care we're happy to help!

5. Reg

Reg Member

Will do, thanks! I was happy to see him out and actively exploring his tank today when I got home from work. Spent some time hanging out in the open as well so I am hopeful he'll be comfortable enough for handling and feeding within a week or so.

6. Reg

Reg Member

So I got a little impatient and handed Perrin today. He was a little flighty but no striking or flattening his neck. Only a small hiss or 2 so I feel that he's adjusting well.

I'm going to try and feed him for the first time tonight by putting him in a small container with a FT pinky overnight. Should I throw a little aspin in there with him or leave the container bare?

7. AmityReptiles

Sorry for the late reply. Those are normal hognose responses, I would be concerned if he wasn't flighty, they're very naturally curious and want to explore. Should be fine in a bare container.

8. Reg

Reg Member

Another thing is I was checking Temps this morning. I kept my thermostat probe sandwiched between and UTH and thermometer probe secured to the bottom of the inside of terrarium touching the glass above the UTH. The thermometer under the substrate fluctuates between 88-93°F but the top of the substrate on the hot side never exceeds ambient. Is this OK? I'm assuming the shake is smart though to burrow under the substrate if he wants to warm up.

9. AmityReptiles

They are borrowers so this may be acceptable. If you want to be sure I can tell you how I set up my heat tape. I secure the thermostat probe to the bottom of the tape, leaving the probe hanging slightly for a gap, (see pic) then I set it to about 5f-10f higher than recommended basking temps. Then I put a very thin layer of substrate above the pad/tape in the terrarium and measure the surface temp, should be about right. You can put more substrate down after this, like was said they will burrow. 150012736713179329643.jpg

10. Reg

Reg Member

I attempted my feed just now and he took it! I goofed and purchased mice that I think are probably too small (they're a little less than the width of his head) so I was going to see if he'd take a second helping but be didn't. Everything I've read said you should be able to see a small bulge in the snakes middle after they've eaten but there isn't one at all. Should I offer him another mouse tonight/tomorrow or just wait the normal couple days till it's feeding time again? Either way I'm extremely relieved he ate at all.

11. AmityReptiles

Congratulations good job!
    Just wait until the next feeding, if he doesn't take a second one then he is satisfied. You don't wanna offer too often. I would wait about 4 days. Prey size for them is typically slightly bigger around than their head, if you wanna bump him up or keep offering two, either way will be fine. If he seems too stressed to feed ever, just wait until night time when he is calm and gently place it infront of his mouth. (That often works for me, just a side note)