This Disappears When Logged In

ADF with Fungus and Eye Problem?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by juxtaposedhearts0, Dec 2, 2010.

1. juxtaposedhearts0

juxtaposedhearts0 New Member

Yesterday I moved my two ADF's into a larger tank (2.5 gal). I put in all new gravel and decorations that were rinsed thoroughly and used bottled spring water with some de-chlorinator just in case.
    I will admit that I didn't give them as much adjusting time as they probably needed. Last night they both seemed very active and happy.

This morning, however, I discovered this white patch on the back of my female ADF. She seems a little lethargic and has been spending her time floating at the top or holding on to the filter in the "zen" position. The male seems to like to float at the top as well but he has been swimming around the tank much more. Also, her eye looks a little puffy. I can't tell if it is her entire eye or just some skin sticking over it that she may have been shedding

I would show you pictures but the site won't let me...

I did handle the female to get a closer look and I don't know much about the kind of fungus that infects frogs but it just felt like her skin that is either discolored or about to be shed. Again, I am no ADF expert so that is why I am here.

2. DaliKalak

DaliKalak Well-Known Member

I've had AFDs for about 2-2.5 years.
    To be safe, move her to a separate container so if it IS a fungus, it won't spread to the other froggie. I would wait a couple days. If it's just a shedding thing, then she'll shed no problem and go on with life. If not, it might indeed be a fungus, in which case you should look at your local pet store for a frog/betta fish "de-fungal" drops. They'll hopefully work for you.
    Make sure the water is the same temperature in both tanks when you transfer the froggies, too. A sharp change in temperature can really mess with their insides. I know this because I accidentally moved 2 of my male ADFs from a cold tank to a too-warm tank. They were lethargic and unresponsive for a day or two, and then died. :( So, that is one thing that could be making your froggies kind of slow.
    Hope this helps!