This Disappears When Logged In

Addicted or in love??? HELP!

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by BlackJack, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

congrats on the new baby! :D

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Yeah! Congratulations BlackJack!! :D

He's about the same size as Acacia, our young female. They are so cute at that size!

Love the pics! And we have a carpet python named "Monty", but in my opinion it is a rule that everyone should have a python called "Monty"!! :p

It is said that males have larger spurs than females, but this is not really a guaranteed way of sexing them. Females have quite noticeable spurs too. The best, most accurate way, second to breeding ofcourse :p is probing, which should be done by an expert. In a male the probe will be inserted much further into the cloacal opening, in the females it will only be inserted by a few scales. Boids are often able to tense up to prevent the probes going in very far, which can mean that occasionally a male may be mistaken as a female, but on the whole the method is quite accurate, and causes no harm if done properly and safely. (Sorry if I am preaching to the knowledgable, just informing any members that may not know about probing :) )

Now, big pat on your husband's back!! Great man! :D And more pics!!! :p

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Thanks Bitis! That makes me feel better. Martin is such a huge Monty Python fan that there was no other question in his mind about what our BP should be called.
    Martin and lil' Monty have really bonded! In fact I think he's really Martin's BP now... I think that's so great and I'm happy for both of them!!! :D

I'll post new pics soon.

4. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Another man was warped into thinking snakes are cool!! ;) LOL
    Good job Black Jack! heehee

5. Bitis Gabonica

Another herp-aholic joining us!! :p LOL so he bought it for your anniversary, but really he used that as an excuse cos he has fallen for it!! :p

Congrats anyway,. I'm so in love. and well done for training your man! :D

6. BlackJack

No joke guys: Little Monty is DEFINTELY Martin's baby!!! Martin's already printed out about 50 pages of care sheets, etc on Ball Pythons has read and made notes on all of it!!
    He and Monty are so cute together! I just can't get over it. I never thought I'd see him so interested in ANY sort of pet!! I asked him today: "Excuse me, but who are you and what have you done with my husband?!"

He might not be a full herpaholic yet: but he's definitely a "Lil' Monty-holic" !!! :p

I LOVE THEM BOTH TO PIECES!!!! :D

7. Bitis Gabonica

LOL :D That is fantastic!! I feel a love hearts floating in the air moment :p You must get a pic of the proud father and python together!! :D

It's great when your partner is into the same hobby as you. People are always surprised when they ask Joe and I, "who is the herpaholic?" and we reply both of us! It's more usual for one to be more into them than the other, but we are equally committed and in love with our reptiles! (Hehehe just wait, having a partner who is equally into reptiles as you are is great - loads of new herps and they use the excuse that they are presents for you! :p )

8. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Same as my other half, he loves herps, its just that he is scared of them, he always encourages me to get more and more, he was after a burmese python the other week that was 10' in size and I said definately not, we are not ready for that, I had to teach him a bit of herp awareness and told him he could become dinner lol, im a meanie eh, he only just holds some of the corns and they are very small compared to a burmese, so he soon changed his mind when i said i would take no part in caring for it and it would all be down to him if he got it, he does help to clean them out and change waters once i take the snakes out of their enclosures, :D

9. BlackJack

We're definitely not ready for anything like a Burm either!! Talyn and Monty are just perfect for us right now! :p

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Congratulations BlackJack! Ball pythons are great snakes (except for that darned winter fasting business! :( ) My pair are 4 years old and the male bit me once when he was a hatchling because I scared him, Neither one have even so much as hissed at us since. It is great when your other half shares your enjoyment of herps. Makes it a lot easier when you want to put dead rats in the freezer with the ice cream!
    And it IS an addiction. However that doesn't meant it isn't love too! ;)

11. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

That's great :D I have a fat full-o-rat female royal in my shirt right now. A couple of things I'd like to add to the great advice already given:
    Your snake is still small enough to "pop" (for sexing) but I'd have somebody knowledgable do it.
    Not all royals mind large enclosures, it really depends on the individual snake. I choose to keep my yearling pair together in a 40 breeder and they have lived there since they were a couple months old without incident. I keep my individual snakes of similar lengths in 20 long aquaria. The royals love to sit together all curled up (you must get another ;) ). The female is shy but friendly and the male is just incorigible! :p

12. venus

venus Founding Member

Congrats on the new addition. Sorry so late in getting around to this. He looks like a real sweetie. :D

13. cman

cman Elite Member

I love my BP. well I love all snakes they are so fasinating how they do every thing they do and well some people think im crazy for saying this but they are so cute!!!

14. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

You are so lucky! It's so great that your husband is falling in love with snakes too...I wish mine would. He likes them well enough but won't go out of his way for them, and doesn't want me adding anymore any time soon. What a beautiful little snake! Remember what you were saying at the beginning of this thread? It's my turn now I want, I want, I want! Wah wah wah! I really really want! (and I'm 40 years old!) :eek:

15. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Isn't it great, the encouraging words you get here at HC. Or is it the taunting "you know you want another one, go ahead we wont tell" mwahahahahah that keeps everyone coming back. :D :D

16. BlackJack

REALLY CUTE

Cman: some snakes REALLY ARE cute! There's just no other word for it... Monty's at a particularly cute stage right now. He loves to climb and hang out in his new tree!(see pics)
    "Talyn", my BRB, does a few cute things: like burying herself and just leaving a little hole for her head to peek out. But otherwise she's not "cute"; she's just amazingly beautiful and elegant. (Biased? Yes.) It's sad how many people are just too blinded by their erroneous ideas of snakes to see them for the wonderful animals they are!

smallgrayfox: who would've thought that one little snake could make such a difference. My husband was interested in Talyn but not excessively so... maybe your husband just hasn't found THE ONE (yet! :D ) I hope he does! It really is great when we can both enjoy the snakes so much.

Jay: the encouraging words ARE wonderful and it's always nice to know I'll have lots of back-up for my next buy!! :p :p

Attached Files:

17. Bitis Gabonica

Fantastic photos! :)

Jay, what could you mean?? We don't do that!... Come on BlackJack, now you have your husband on side, what are you gonna get next???? :p

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I really (Get more)don't understand(Get more) what any of you (Get more)are talking about. we would never (Get more)encourage any one (Get more)to get more herps! :D :D ;)

19. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Hehehehe

LOL Merlin! :D
    :rolleyes:*crosses fingers* Of Course we would never encourage anyone to break the 12 step program! :)

20. BlackJack

Subliminal messages are coming through loud and clear, Merlin!! :p

Martin thinks I need a 12-step program for my HC addiction!!!

Bitis: I'll have to think about what to get next (but I guarantee you'll all be the first to know!!!!!!! :D :D
    ...Martin wants an emerald tree boa, but those fangs kinda scare me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.