This Disappears When Logged In

Addicted or in love??? HELP!

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by BlackJack, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I've just fallen head over heels in love with a baby ball python! It's so tiny, and so docile, it just sat in the palm of my hand with it's little tail wrapped around my thumb. It's tongue was flicking in and out interestedly but SOOO MELLOW and such pretty markings!!
    I know I've only had my BRB girl Talyn for 2 months. She's an adult and already full grown... she's becoming more tame with careful handling and enough food and I think she's amazing...
    Is it too early for me to be thinking about getting another snake? I don't want it to seem like I enjoy Talyn any less, but I'd love to have a baby snake that I could tame from the beginning...
    I know that Ball (or Royal) pythons don't get very long: is 3-6ft correct? (Talyn is already over 6ft) But BPs do seem to get rather thick in the middle... is that natural the result of over feeding?
    How fast will she grow? At the moment, she's small enough to have enough space in a sweater box... Could I expect her to need a large enclosure in 6 months?
    My husband thinks I'm rushing into this... I probably shouldn't have asked to hold the little guy... WAAAAAAH, I want it!! (Will anyone here believe I'm turning 38 soon.... waaaaaahh, I want, I want....!!)

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Definitely go get him...its not an addiction..its love, I was the same way when i go mine 4 yrs ago. I could not wait to get home everyday to hold it.

4. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Sounds like a match made in Herp Heaven to me! :p
    I say go get him!
    He will be fine in a 20 long tank for his whole life (depending how much he grows of course).

Have you thought of a name yet? ;) lol

5. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i also say go for it! lol i thought i could stop with just my snow corn but now i have three snakes and am hoping to get a few more by the end of the school year. :D

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

No doubt - go for it!! It's true love!!! :p
    (At least that's what Joe and I convinced ourselves 26 snakes ago :D )

Your little ball python will live for a while in a sweater box (what kind of size is the box?).. in fact very often a smaller enclosure is better for a ball python. A large enclosure will freak it out and may cause so much stress that it will stop feeding.

Ball pythons are thicker around the middle, although not vastly so, and they are still not classed as large snakes. They will usually stop growing at 4ft as Ken said, but you are correct in thinking that some will be smaller at 3 ft and some monsters can reach 6ft. We have two male adults, who are both around 3.5ft, and sexually mature. They each have their own enclosure that are almost 2ft x almost 2.5ft, they are plastic boxes, and hold humidity well, are private which the royals love, and there is still plenty of room for them to move about.. not that royals move about too much :p

We also have a young female, who right now is in a very small plastic enclosure. Now that we have had her for a couple of months we will increase her home to a larger plastic box, as the initial home was just to get her settled and not freaked too much.

Royals will often go off their food during winter, as they reach maturity and throughout adulthood. This is my only warning to you as the first time it happens it can really freak you out, but it is perfectly normal and not harmful to them at all - just harmful to us slaves of the serpents, who stress out!! :D

Go get your little royal, we want to see pictures!!!!! :D

7. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

go get the lil guy, I was the same, i started off about 15 months ago with just one lil garter snake, now i have another nine snakes, that includes a ball python to my collection lol, i say go get him too :D

8. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

You sound like me when i first saw a Jackson chameleon. :D
    Go get him, but research him before you do. BP's can be very nice with children, and if held enough, he can hang out with you everywhere. (As long as it aint cold) Me and my BP go skateboarding together :)

9. BlackJack

Temptation

My husband is not sure I've asked a non-biased public here for an opinion!!

He doesn't mind really one way or the other if I get the little guy or not: he's just a bit concerned where I'll put him when he starts to get bigger! I can build a nice enclosure for him: I think I've got time.

Bitis: There are various sweater boxes that I've seen as a temporary home. The feeding box I use for my BRB is 21"x15"x8.5" (53cm x 38cmx21cm). Maybe that's already too big for the little guy: I think he can't be much more than 15-20" long (max 40cm?) I can get something half that size or even smaller, as needed. The tank he's in now is maybe just a bit bigger than that, but he's sharing it with 3 or 4 others. The boxes for your adult BPs don't seem too gigantic: Talyn's terrarium is 5ft long by 2.5ft deep by 4ft high. I thought the BP would need one that big as well or maybe since Talyn doesn't seem interested in climbing, that eventually I could move her into one of the same floor dimensions, but not as high and move my BP into this one. I don't know if BPs like to climb when they are older but this lil guy was up on a branch with another one when I saw him...

The pet shop is closed now. I'm going to go to bed and if I'm not meant to get him, I'd better have a VERY telling dream!!!

I've read a few care sheets including the great one Rich wrote here. Part of me thinks I should wait until I know more about BPs, but I'd hate to miss getting the one I held today: so gentle and gorgeous!!!

Jem_Scout: I've been thinking of names since I walked out of the shop! -- I think I might have one or two, but I'll wait to share when I get him!

10. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Erm, Bill, that could be a little dangerous??

BlackJack, you wouldn't want a tank so big for an adult ball, it would get freaked out!! An adult would be happy in something 3' x 2' floor space as a maximum, imo. They can like to climb, if given the opportunity, but it isn't neccessary, and some may not. Tigger, our other adult male is very very lazy!! :D

Seeing that your BRB was your first snake this time, a ball shouldn't be a problem, apart from the not eating during winter, although many snakes will do this. Ball pythons are probably the favourites for first time snakes, second to corns, and are easy to care for if you care for them right, as any other snake.

Any questions, just ask. But if you feel you really want the little guy you held I would go for it - you will regret it so much if you don't! :p Remember to quarantine though. Our newest BP had mites, and we have had them before so we know how to easily get rid of them, but one infestation of mites can quickly catch on to all your other collection and can become a big pest!

11. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

See?? It was meant to be! The minute you try to name it, it becomes YOURS! LOL :p
    I have a feeder rat that was beat up pretty badly by two others and he stole my heart! I felt so bad for the little guy. No way can I use him for snake food now 'cause I already named him! (Captain Mac)! He's now a pet rat :) See how that works? ;)
    A full grown BP can live just fine in a 20 or 30 long aquarium just fine as an adult. It will not get nowhere near the size of Tayln!! So you don't need to worry about such a huge tank for it.

I still say you need to go get him!
    hee,hee-
    Jem (the instigator) lol

12. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

It seems you have like 100 snakes if I remember. So why not keep adding lol?

13. BlackJack

My new baby!!

Here he is!!! I took my husband, Martin, to the petshop to check out the little guy and he immediately offered to buy him for me as an anniversary present!
    Sorry to anyone else who has the name already, but Martin really wants to call him "Monty" Python because he loves all their work... How could I refuse? :D

He's about 50 cm (20") long and weighs 116 grams (4.1 oz). He's very active but calm. (No bite pics to show yet! :D )
    He's settling into his plastic sweater box quarantine home nicely... that'll give me time to get his other living quarters all set up.

MoLdYpOtAtOe: you've confused me with someone else... this is only my second snake. (Twenty years ago I had a WC garter and 2 green snakes.)

Attached Files:

14. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

soooo cute...I am beginning to think I wouldnt be able to resist either...lol...Lyn

15. lola

lola Elite Member

congratulations! beautiful snake. i love that first pic, too...the one with the tongue wagging...

and happy anniversary :)...

lola

16. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I'm doin' the happy snake dance for you!!! :p
    I knew he would be yours! It was just meant to be ya know?
    I just love the little babies, they are so cute and cuddly! ;)
    And Happy Anniversary to you 2 too!
    I'll wait for pics of him in his new home.
    Hugs to you and the little one....
    Jem

17. BlackJack

Thanks everyone. I can't stop saying how adorable he is... And so active! He makes Talyn look like a real slug!
    He hasn't been sexed yet, but he has quite noticeable spurs... I'm guessing he's a male. Or do female BPs have noticeable spurs too?

18. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Way to go !!!!!! (I knew you'd buy the little cutie) herps are worse (or is that better) than potatoe chips,,,,,,,you can't stop at 1

19. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

HAHAHA Ken!! Thats SO true! :p

20. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

You guys are making me want more herps...and more potato chips.

He's a real cutie BJ (its just easier to type :rolleyes: )! I haven't seen a whole lot of baby BPs. He looks so slender compared to the bigger ones!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.