This Disappears When Logged In

Ackie Monitors Need a New Home

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by Johnny, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Mike, thanks for the suggestion. Now tell me if I am thinking along the right lines for the lay box: About a 6qt filled most of the way up with the normal soil/sand mix and an appropriate hole for access. Opaque plastic so she feels secure and thinking maybe a small uth on a dimmer for heat( I don't have an extra t-stat at the moment but I can get one if I need to.), and put the whole thing on the cool end. Now should I put the access hole in the side at the top or should I just put the hole right in the lid? I've never done a lay box before so this should be interesting.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not sure what size 6 qt is. Seems kind of small though if I compare it to a quart of oil. Somewhere between 5 and 10 gallon should suffice.
    Otherwise sounds good keep the hole at the top and dark is better.
    I use a heat pad on a dimmer with a temperature probe so I know where it's at.
    Now the issue might be that she might not like the laybox. In that case you might have to make it bigger so it doesn't seem so restrictive. It seems that females that have only used lay boxes will continue to use them but those that have nested in deep substrate sometimes won't accept them.
    I don't recall reading what this female had nested in prior.