This Disappears When Logged In

Ackie Monitors Need a New Home

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by Johnny, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

Hey guys,

My family is moving to a new house that, unfortunately, doesn't have nearly as much space as where I live now. This is bad news for my ackies and I, as their cage is just too big to take with me. I've had this pair for a couple of years now and I'm not looking to make any money off this, I just want to make sure they're going to be well cared for. One of them is a female (she's laid eggs) and I'm fairly certain the other is a male (eggs weren't fertilized, though, so who knows). I have them in a 4x2 glass front enclosure and I'm willing to give that away as well. I can take pictures of the ackies or the set up, though I do have some pictures of them in an album on here if anyone is interested. Please PM me if you think you are experienced/responsible enough to handle this. They are great lizards, particularly the female, who does not hesitate to come up to the glass of her enclosure and beg for some dubias.

**I would even be willing to ship these lizards to someone on this site who seems knowledgeable/experienced enough, though I have some reservations about doing this.

Please, don't hesitate to ask any questions if you think you can help these ackies out. Thank you.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Would love to have them up here. Unfortunately they need CITES paperwork to cross the border.
    I don't think you'll find a problem homing them.

3. tbron

tbron Elite Member

good luck with finding a new home. I would take them to but I hardly have room for my savannah monitor

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Do you have reds or yellow ackies? I may be interested if you will ship.

5. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

Darkbird, I bought them from two different sources. The female I bought at a reptile expo from Reptile Island. She was sold to me as a Red ackie. My second (male?) ackie was purchased from Justin Burokas and I have that one down in my records as a yellow. PM me if you want to discuss shipping details. I'm not asking for a "rehoming fee", but I will ask that anyone interested in having them shipped be willing to pay the shipping costs.

6. kriminaal

That's a pretty good deal just having to pay for shipping.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Expect a pm from me later today. Working right now.

8. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

Haha, tell me about it. The female cost more than her enclosure. But hey, what can you do.

Anyway, I got a couple of PMs and I'm going to take a day or two calculating shipping costs for those of you who asked. You all seem like you would have a great home for these ackies, so I might just decide based on who would be the fastest person to ship to. Since I've never shipped a live animal I might take a bit to figure this all out. I'll contact you guys through your PMs individually on an as-needed basis. Thanks for your interest.

9. kriminaal

Make sure to use a shipping company that guarantees" Live on Arrival"

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And over night if possible!

11. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

Absolutely! I'm looking at shipping rates on Ship Your Reptiles - Ship Live Reptiles Easily, Securely and Affordably since it looks like they take the headache out of it. Last thing I want is anyone getting a box with two dead lizards in it.

On another note, I answered all the PMs I've received, but they aren't showing up in my "sent messages" folder and for all I know, they didn't go through. If any of you that messages me doesn't have something in your inbox, please, post on here to let me know. Thanks.

**I hope posting that link isn't against forum rules.

12. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

I truly hope whoever gets them truly loves and cares for them and gives them a forever home with all the love and awesome husbandry they deserve!

13. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

Thanks to everyone who showed interest in adopting out my ackies and giving them a new place to stay, as well as to everyone who chimed in with suggestions/reminders. It sucks that I have to let go of these guys (I've already had them 2 years), but Darkbird is getting them and I think he's going to be a great match. Once again, thanks everyone and thanks Darkbird.

14. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Thanks to you Johnny, can't wait to get them here. In the process of setting up temporary housing for them now, and I will have to build a second adult enclosure this summer. Hopefully after they come out of quarantine I will be able to introduce them to my existing 3, but we'll just have to wait and see.

15. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Everything went fine other than me having the mild panic attacks I do when ordering and shipping reptiles. They made it here in good condition other than being a bit cold. It would be my luck that we are having the coldest morning in June I can remember, and almost the coldest on record. Anyway, here are some pics for everyone.
    The first is an overall view of their quarantine cage. It's a 36"x28"x18" vision. Substrate is cypress mulch, several inches deep in the back, they also have a hollow wood cave which is buried in the back, and as many branches as I could scrounge. Basking spot is natural slate tile raised up a bit on some pieces of brick which in turn are sitting right on the cage floor so they can't dig under them. Right now they have a single 50w halogen bulb for the spot, which is running around 130 degrees. I had 2 bulbs but it was too much and the cage was overheating. Going to see if I can find 2 25-30w bulbs to widen the basking spot without roasting the cage. I know this whole setup isn't ideal, but its just for a month or two until I decide they are doing ok.
    Second shot is of the female. Even cold she was nice and feisty, going so far as to bite my shirt in protest of her situation. She ran to the back of the cage as soon as I set her down, and hid under some of the wood. Then stuck her head out to keep an eye on the big scary thing (me).
    Third shot is the male, and he was not as active as the female at first. Then he started getting warm and was cruising all over the cage when I walked away a bit ago. So I'm guessing he will be ok.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  16. kriminaal

Good luck with them. Hopefully they acclimate and pair up well with your existing.
    Are they older than the ones you already had?

17. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Thanks mike, I'm gonna give them plenty of time to settle before I even think of introducing them. I think they are at least a bit older as the female has apparently laid eggs, but I don't know for sure. I just went to take a quick peek and they are both under the basking lamp right now, so they seem to be doing pretty good for being in there for less than 2hrs. I was going to wait until tomorrow to try and feed them but I might just put a dish of dubia in there after I come home from work this afternoon. Was able to take part of the morning off for this but I gotta go back and run another load later. I'll just see how they are acting when I get home and go from there.

18. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

Aw, my babies! *tear, tear* Haha. Crap, I would have put the heat pack in there, but it's been pretty **** warm here in California. I guess since it was an overnight shipment your temps would matter more *dumb me*. The temporary set up looks good! And Shawn, I gotta warn you.... the little guy (my ex named him Pete) kept chasing the female (Emma) around the cage and getting on top of her. Here in California it's about that time for Spring loving, so I would not be at all surprised if she lays again soon. I've said it before, but keep us posted!

19. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I may have to set her up a lay box then. My one regret with this setup was that there just wasn't room to give them a good deep substrate like I normally would. She ate well yesterday by the way. The male didn't get any due to his running to hide when I put the dish in. She watched me from the other end of the cage then proceeded to come and clean out the dish herself. Gotta sort a fresh batch of dubias from the colony tonight, thankfully it's finally producing. Also gonna get some variety at the next show, crickets, superworms and maybe something else if I can find anything interesting.

20. kriminaal

I've recently decided to modify my deep substrate. They were only using about 1/3 of the width. Preferring the cool end where I had a heat pad underneath. So I'm closing off about half of it so digging for eggs is much easier.
    First time layers are not so picky. But experienced females can be. If you can provide some heat to the bottom of the laybox it will make her happier.