This Disappears When Logged In

Ack!!! Ants!!!

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by thead11, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

So is there anyway to deter ants from my snake's water dishes?
    I have ants in every one of my snakes tanks almost.
    Is it possible they are attracted to their substrate??
    It is a type of cyprus bedding, and it is in every tank.
    I'm really worried that they will hurt my snakes.

Im worried about spraying because I have cats, and the bait traps don't seem to work.

Also, one of them is in the bedroom where there is carpet.

Please Help!!!

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

3. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

I've read that.
    It didn't really help me, but thank you anyways.
    Would it be possible to wipe down the outside of their tanks with ant spray, instead of directly spraying? I would never spray their tanks, I'm not that stupid.

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Is it possible to completely clean out each of the cages? Then try some of the ideas mentioned in the other threads to prevent the ants from coming back?

5. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

We are going to clean out the cages tonight, and put in new substrate. We are also going to buy more bait traps.
    It is strange because they seem to only be attracted to the snakes water, and not my cats lol.
    I think they are getting so bad because we haven't had enough rain.
    Should I switch to another substrate?

6. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I prefer Aspen bedding over everything. When you use the bait traps, try to follow the ant trails to a location they are all travelling. Place the trap in their line of travel and they should begin killing the colony as they bring the food back to the nest. I always have an ant problem when the weather starts to warm up. I use the small "Raid" traps and the problem is typically over within 3-4 days from when I lay the traps out.

7. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

That is what I have tried to do.
    In my bedroom they are traveling along the baseboard to my corn snakes tank.
    I followed them and found they are comming from a place where the molding under the window has seperated from the wall.
    Would it be alright to spray along the baseboard? The snake's tank is on a nightstand.

8. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

Oh and about the aspen, I love aspen, and would use it, except that my boyfriend wants to use the cyprus. I'd rather give in to his wants rather than start an argument.

9. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

The chance of any residual being left behind is too risky. I have had good success with cinnamon lining the perimeter of the outside of the problem area. Ants won't cross this. As long as you have table enough to hold it...it can wok in your situation, too.

10. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

I would go get some clear silicone calking and seal that molding up to prevent them from getting in... Lavender oil works really well to get rid of bugs...

11. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Black Knight 2 may work and it is safe. It kills mites may kill ants too.

Id also Diatomaceous earth. It is safe for you and the animals. Its a powder and you can put it in the cage and when the ants walk over it, it cuts them and they die. It wont harm the snakes at all.

Maybe small bits of No Pest Strips in film containers with holes in them to kill the ants. Then again you have baby snakes and no pest strips have been know to cause problems with young snakes.

12. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

Where can I buy Diatomaceous earth?
    I really think they are attracted to the cyrpus bedding because we have had no rain. They cyprus is providing them with the moisture they need.
    The only problem I have with changing their bedding is my boyfriend loves it.
    So how should I get him to agree to change?? lol.
    Erg.
    There is nothing else in the tanks that I can think of that the ants want besides the water.

13. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

I have also read about using chalk to keep them out of things.
    Has anyone had any luck with this??

14. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I think the chalk theory is the same as the cinnamon one. It goes something to the effect of the loose particles cling to their legs making it impossible to cross. So to avoid the problem, they simply don't cross it. If you have some chalk, go outside and draw a circle around an ant with it and see if the ant crosses it!

15. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

lol alright lol
    I looked the Diatomaceous earth up online, and it appears that you can get it at a hardware store.
    Is this true?
    Is there only one kind, or is there a certain type to get?

16. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

There are several kinds, well grades of it. Some places may have it some may not.

17. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Depending on the size of the cage, it is possible to build a small lip on the bottom of the cage you can fill with some type of vegtable oil, just like what you would do when raising earthworms.

18. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm trying the rice thing. I think I'll find out how it works when i get back from vacation. :(

19. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

Yeah I read about that in your thread, but where exactally do you put the rice??

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would definitely NOT recommend putting diatomaceous earth inside the cage with the animal. The particles are microscopic and very sharp. This makes the chance of inhaling it and damaging the lungs a very serious possibility. It is even listed as a breathing hazard to humans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.