This Disappears When Logged In

ACF Tank Lego Decor

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by testro, Sep 23, 2009.

1. testro

testro Member

About 3 weeks ago I setup a new 20 gallon long tank for my 7 month old African Clawed Frog. I use Seachem Prime and tap water, no substrate and a Whisper EX20 filter. Needless to say... I am in need of decorations for this tank since I currently only have a rock in the corner for him to hide behind.

I had an idea to build some kind of castle/structure out of legos for the tank. I figured I could just put some rocks encased in legos in the corners to weight it down so it won't float.

Question - Are legos safe to put in an aquarium for an ACF or do they have some kind of chemicals that will be harmful?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Not a clue on Legos. That's a first! I would think they are fine, since they are rated for kids.

Can you pick up an aquarium plant at a fish store for $5 or so?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's an iffy one! There are alot of things that won't bother children that would be devastating on a frog.
    I doubt that they have ever safety tested Legos with THAT in mind!

4. testro

testro Member

I read a few forums that said they use an inert plastic that shouldn't be harmful to aquarium fish... I'm just wondering if anybody here has any experience. I'll probably e-mail the Lego company to be 100% sure... then again what would some customer service rep for Lego's know about ACF's.

Money isn't really the problem I can definitely afford other decorations. I just thought this would be a creative solution to the problem. The idea came to me when I stumbled on some old Lego's in the garage. :p

5. schlegelbagel

Good use of recycling. Do some research and let us know.

6. testro

testro Member

So I e-mailed the Lego website and apparently it is safe to use Lego's in an aquarium. I certainly can't describe it as well as the Customer Service Rep over at Lego, so I'll just paste the e-mail response I received if anybody is interested. Thanks for the feedback and here it is.

Thank you for your interest in LEGO® brand toys. As you requested, we are more than happy to provide additional information regarding the composition of LEGO elements.

As a responsible toy manufacturer, children's safe and enjoyable use of our products is of the utmost importance to us, and we make every effort to ensure this. All LEGO brand toys are tested by independent third party labs and meet or exceed all mandatory toy safety requirements in the 130 countries where they are sold, including the lead and phthalate provisions of the recently enacted US Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA). Additionally, all of our products comply with ASTM F963, the voluntary standard for toy safety which will become a mandatory US standard in February 2009 as part of the CPSIA. This standard encompasses safety requirements for toys such as age grading, small parts, material composition, no sharp edges or points, and much more.

Most LEGO elements are made of ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), a high-quality plastic that meets an extensive list of safety and quality specifications. A small number of other plastics are used to produce various other elements and components that require special properties or have unique applications.

Phthalate plasticizers are not used in most LEGO products. In fact, the mere presence of these chemicals would be counterproductive to the vast majority of LEGO elements, since the effect of phthalates is to make plastic soft and flexible. LEGO bricks require rigidity and dimensional stability to maintain their legendary durability and clutch properties. Further, phthalates are primarily used in PVC plastic applications, and PVC is not permitted to be used in any LEGO molded element.

PVC may be found only within electric cable insulation which, if used, must also be enclosed within an assembly and must not contain phthalate plasticizers. It is possible that phthalates may be found in some decoration inks for t-shirts, though The LEGO Company has now transitioned to phthalate-free inks for these applications. Notably, phthalate content in all inks is limited in accordance with the requirements of the US CPSIA. We continue to evaluate new materials and use alternatives whenever available for these few circumstances. You of course would not want to put any electrical components or action elements (pull back motor, etc) into a fish tank however standard LEGO elements would be safe and would not leech any compounds into the water. They pass the same strict quality standards as those required for plastic eating utensils and will not bleed in an aquarium.

We wish your family many more happy and creative hours of building fun with LEGO brand products. Please do not hesitate to contact one of our consumer representatives, whenever we can assist you with product information or service.

7. Merlin

Very interesting!
    Thank you for taking the time to pass on this useful information!

8. schlegelbagel

Makes me want to get some legos and build something for my fish...

9. Merlin

It sure would simplify the task of building steps to go between levels in a viv!
    Though the garish colors might not look very natural!

10. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

ARGH! NOW I get that suggestion -- I would have rather had bright red steps then the nightmare of GS all over the bloody place making my staircase!!:rolleyes:

Thanks for updating us on that information (seriously).

Building a entire viv out of legos is kind of an interesting idea. Easy to redecorate, and easy to clean.... hmmmm

11. Very creative! Tell us if it works!

12. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I knew I loved legos! Cool idea and thanks for the info! I too want to go dig out my old stuff and go nuts for the animals.

13. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Don't lego's float?