This Disappears When Logged In

ACF Clouded Water

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by nuttieduck, Apr 9, 2010.

1. nuttieduck

nuttieduck New Member

I recently adopted a female albino ACF, 2 years old. I set up her temporary 10 gallon home while working on her permanent 30 gallon.

I noticed that within a couple of hours in the 10 gallon water became cloudy despite the filter and water treatment. Not sure if this was typical (can't find much reading on this) so I did a 75% water change thinking it was due to stress but within a day it was cloudy again.

I set up the 30 gallon and let it cycle. This tank has a good bio-filter however within 24 hours the water clouded. Not as thick as the 10 gallon but it is certainly noticeable and causing concern.

What am I doing wrong? Is this normal for her to release this much *stuff*?

I love her and want to provide the best home for her. Can anyone help?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Fish tanks often go cloudy when first starting them up. Let it cycle a week, it should dissipate.

3. nuttieduck

nuttieduck New Member

Okay! I will let her get acclimated for a week and not worry right now.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

They do make "anti-clouding" drops you can add to the water. I have used them in fish tanks before, but really, the cloudy water should cycle through in a week or so.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom. It is common in newly drawn tanks. Its harmless though unsightly.

6. nuttieduck

nuttieduck New Member

Tried the clear-water drops without any luck. I have had various tanks over the years and never experienced this amount of cloudiness. Still learning about my ACF so it worried me a little.

I will hold tight and wait for it to clear. Bacterial Bloom Be Gone! ;)