This Disappears When Logged In

ACF/African Clawed Frog STOMACH BLOAT

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by mua, Sep 9, 2009.

1. mua

mua Member

Hi Everyone!

I have two ACFs, a male and female both nine years old. They are in a 10 gallon filtered tank and everything seems fine except the + nitrates are in the 60-80 range, - nitrates are in the .5 range, alkalinity is low and the water is a bit hard, Ph also hovers around a 5.5 or 6 instead of 7.

The female has had a stomach bulge for four days now. They eat frozen bloodworms.

I felt her belly and it feels hard, there were two distinct little lumps and now they have moved together. No pooping.

She doesn't look uncomfortable and swims around quite a bit. I tried the peas yesterday. She ate four pea insides and the male just chewed on one.

Her eyes are getting a little cloudy and now I am getting worried. Found a specialty vet nearby and was thinking of going.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

T.

P.S. Okay, I vacuumed the tank and did a 30% water change with some of that powdered neutral regulator. I am starting Maracyn 2 to help the cloudy eyes...maybe the relaxation will encourage her to poop now.

I massaged her belly again. Wishful thinking I can dislodge whatever may be holding everything up!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

What's the substrate at the bottom of the tank?

3. mua

mua Member

As I'm reading now, unfortunately the same cm size rock that has always been there. Neither one has ever ingested a rock though.

Was wondering if the hard pieces I felt were those "white rocks" that others were talking about.

Also late last night the bulges dissapeared, then shifting to the right side, then back again.

4. schlegelbagel

Just because they have never eaten a rock before, doesn't mean they haven't now. That would be my first guess, unless the rock is larger than their mouths.

5. mua

mua Member

What are my next steps? The bulge is shifting, is it possible she may pass it then?

Should I try the exotics vet?

6. schlegelbagel

You can always take them in for an X-ray. Might show more than you can see.

7. mua

mua Member

Here is the update:

Took frog to the vet! That was a good one!! $70 for x-ray to see she had seven rocks in her guts, $50 for the visit and $15 for a laxative prescription complete with my frog's name on it.

Made an appointment to have them try to surgically remove them for $200--chickened out last minute because I was told that they "do lose some while they are under". Plus, she was happy and active still, even though her swimming was off balance and it was a bit harder for her to swim to the top of the tank.

Gave her the laxative once--not easy to get a syringe into the mouth of a slippery frog and deliver 8ml of oil! Resulted in oily bubbles--yep from there--and blood worm skins floating at the top of the tank for days. At least I could tell she was passing food still.

Went on vacation for four days, came home and noticed she pooed half of them out on her own! Still a bit bulged--but note to other frog lovers out there with this issue--she passed rocks double the size of a pea! And lots of them! And she had the problem for almost two weeks.

My next question is about changing the substrate. We bought tiny gravel, but on closer inspection the rocks look a little sharp. Would this be cause for concern?

BIG ISSUE!! She had a cloudy eye which I did a round of Maracyn 2 for--now it is a little less cloudy but bulged with a blood spot on white. Her butthole is also turning red, no doubt from passing boulders. Should I do Maracyn?

Thanks!

T.

8. schlegelbagel

Glad she seems to be passing the rocks. Go for BIG SMOOTH rocks or even none at all, they don't' really need the rocks.

As for your other medication, I haven't a clue what that is, so I can't advise.

9. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

That sounds painful!:eek: If you haven't separated her from the male yet, I would do that now until she heals.

Best of luck,

-K

10. mua

mua Member

Everything seems to be great today, except she still has a cloudy eye with a little blood clot in it. There doesn't appear to be any fungus so this must be an internal infection, which I have already given a round of antibiotics for.

The eye is becoming larger and misshapen from all the infection in it. She is acting normal other than her gross eye.

What is the recommended treatment for this?

11. schlegelbagel

Asking a vet what to do. When it comes to totally aquatic animals, I haven't a clue. I know what to do for a tree frog, but not something that swims. I would suspect your frog needs some sort of injectable antibiotic.

12. My friend frog has this like perminant bloat, it never goes away but sometimes gets much worse. Just had to share that. Wow! Sounds like that frog has been through a lot; I personally am no expert but I would advise to put her in her own tank until she heals and keep it very, very clean.