This Disappears When Logged In

Accidental Frog Acquisition

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by leanneburton, Dec 28, 2015.

1. leanneburton

leanneburton New Member

Hello, my name is Leanne and I accidentally acquired a frog 2 days ago.

I ordered some bog plants from a lady near Orlando, FL and when they arrived on Saturday there was a hitchhiker in the box. I've determined this teensy guy is a Little Grass Frog (Pseudacris ocularis). These guys are the smallest North American frog and he is about 1/2 inch long without his legs stretched. They are technically tree frogs though they spend much of their time in bogs, swamps, and meadows. He's not native to Memphis, TN so I can't release him. There's very little info on these guys as they aren't really kept in captivity. I've never cared for a reptile and I would sure appreciate any advice I can get.

I put him in a mason jar with a screen top while I ran to the pet store. I bought a 3 gallon critter keeper box (the largest they had in stock), water dechlorinator, and some fruit flies. I put a couple branches and leaves in the box, as well as one of the plants he came with since a large portion of their diet is springtails & the plant might have those in the peat. My local pet store doesn't sell springtails. He has a water dish and a dish with water and sphagnum moss.

I was extremely worried he wouldn't make it, but I guess he is eating the fruit flies. Yesterday evening he took a soak in the sphagnum and this morning he was stuck to the side of the critter keeper instead of hiding. I guess it's a good sign that he's moving around now. I offered one mini mealworm last night, but he hadn't eaten it by the time I left for work this morning.

I realize this enclosure is on the small side even for a guy this tiny. I also don't have any substrate in there currently. I figure I need to order some springtails and get a vitamin/mineral supplement. Will that cover all the basics or have I missed something?

Here's a few other questions I have:

I would like to know if the R-Zilla Flexible Critter Cage will keep fruit flies in. If not, does anyone have suggestions for an enclosure that is fruit fly proof?

Is this guy too small to eat pinhead crickets? They certainly weren't listed in any dietary info I could find and they might be huge compared to something like springtails, mealybugs, and the other foods listed as making up their diet.

I read a minimum recommended enclosure size for a single frog is around 10 gallons, but that's for frogs alot larger than this guy! Since he won't ever get larger than 1/2 inch, could he be happy in a 7 gallon enclosure?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I'm not familiar with that tank, could you post a photo? Any screen will have to be secured with plexiglass (you may even want to design your own lid if applicable) since a tiny frog wont use much air and opening the tank daily to feed or clean provides adequate airflow.

I'm not at all familiar with this frog but you seem to be doing well. What temperatures is it at? I'd get a pothos live plant or something to stick in the tank so it can hide.

3. leanneburton

leanneburton New Member

He's in a room with my orchid & carnivorous plant collection, so temps are 70-80'F and humidity is 50-60%. He currently has a Sarracenia purpurea in the enclosure with him (it's one of the plants he hitchhiked with).

Here's a link to the tank at Amazon:
    Amazon.com : R-Zilla SRZ28041 Flexible Critter Cage, Small : Pet Cages : Pet Supplies
    It has screen on top & the door is screen. They call it flexible, because it can stand up or lay on it's side. I'm just concerned about it keeping the fruit flies in, since this guy can't eat anything larger than fruit flies.

Since humidity is always decent in his room, I thought it would be ok to have an enclosure with screen on two sides if I also included a "bog" in the enclosure. When I get him a permanent enclosure I will put in some live bog plants, orchids & bromeliads.

Researching more last night I found that Spring Peepers are kept in captivity & they are a larger relative to my guy. I read everything from 5-10 gallon enclosures for 2-4 Peepers and they are twice the size of the Little Grass Frog. This makes me feel better about a 7.5 gallon enclosure for him.

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Come spring time if all goes well, get some ear plugs... tiny body can produce a wicked loud call...

Kristof likes this.