This Disappears When Logged In

Abscessed Glottis

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Dragoness, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

This is a new one on me (will try to eventually get pictures)

Just took my red-tail green rat snake (Gonyosoma exycephalus) to the vet this morning because her glottis was hugely swollen, and she couldn't even close her mouth right.

The vet examined her, and showed me that it was abscessed, and said I could stay and watch the surgery if I wanted, as he had no other morning appointments.

It was pretty cool - they drained the abscess and sent it for culture, flushed the wound, and packed it with silver sulfadiazine before closing it with a suture.

She is still a bit woozy from being put under, and has a re-check in two weeks, and antibiotics in the meantime.

I regret not taking 'before' pics, as now I will only have 'after' pics.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

28958747480_ef7fa2ca76_k.jpg Midori - Post surgical
    29138668282_ab03fb2b8d_k.jpg Midori - Post surgical

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Interesting! Not one I have heard before.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It stumped me! I'm just glad it was something relatively simple.

5. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a huge mass on such a small snake! Glad you could get it taken care of. How long was the surgery? That's pretty interesting that you got to watch. Usually the vets don't allow that.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The surgery itself did not take very long, and about half of it was induction (getting the snake unconscious) Under an hour all told.

The reason I get to stick around and help out is because I start working for the vet very soon. I'm in pre-employment training to replace a tech who is leaving for maternity later this fall/winter.

The upside it at-cost vet care for all of my animals (he sees cats, dogs and nonvenomous reptiles). Downside is that it pays less than my other job. I think the two will even out.

7. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Other upside, all the experience working with animals you'll gain.
    Any clue what caused the abscess?

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Vet says it could have been any small injury in a stressed animal (she is a WC we are trying to establish, recently recovering from scale rot)