This Disappears When Logged In

Abronia Alligator Lizard Care Questions

Discussion in 'Alligator Lizards' started by Max Owen, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Max Owen

Max Owen Member

Hi, I've had an Abronia for about 5 or 6 months now, and I had some questions about him just to check that Im doing everything right
    1. He's increadibly picky with food. He primarily eats crickets and ignores almost everything else, unless its extremely active, is this normal behavior for this species or is this a problem?
    2. He is a wild caught individual that was bought from a breeder (he ended up with one to many male Abronia's so we got this one). Hes very flighty and aggressive, is there a way to get him to at least tolerate humans at least long enough to get him in and out of his cage
    3. I havent really found any images of a cage setup for this species, only hear about how they live in cloud forests, so is the image provided how it should be, or should i change things? Note its wet because i just sprayed the cage with mist, since this animal needs humidity to be happy.
    Ive also included an image of him to see if he appears to be a healthy individual (he was soaking in the sink why I washed his cage out).
    Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I know nothing much about the species but it looks as if the enclosure is mesh, in which case it will be almost impossible to stabilise either the temps or humidity. What are those, and how are you measuring them?

3. Max Owen

Max Owen Member

I have measured the temps with something called a Flare (i believe thats how you spell it), its a device that gives the temp of a given area up to a tenth of a degree. The ambient is about 75-78 degrees, with a basking area at the top measuring about 85 degrees. The humidity i havent been able to get a reading for as of yet, however from what i can gather from other keepers is that they just mist the cage twice a day and that seems to work, even with mesh cages.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you take a photo of what you use to measure the ambient (air) and surface temps? As I mentioned it will be virtually impossible to stabilise those with a mesh enclosure.