This Disappears When Logged In

About Boas?

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Loudog760, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loudog760

Loudog760 Active Member

Hey guys I'm new around here and I'm thinking about picking a boa. But, I'm not sure which one? The only one I've seen is the common boa but I know there's a heck of a lot more out there. So my question is. How many species of boas are available in captivity? I know a few, so I will list them. I would like one around the size of a common boa or a little smaller. THANKS!:)

Common Boa also called (Colombian Red Tail Boa) right?
    Dumeril Ground Boa
    Brazilian Rainbow boa
    Kenyan Sand Boa

2. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

That would indeed be a large list...

Just a few more examples would be,

Amazon tree boas,
    Emerald Tree boas,
    Madagascar Tree boas,
    Argentinian, Columbian and Peruvian Rainbow Boas,
    Caulker Cay Boas,
    Viper Boas,
    Rubber boas,
    Quite a few other sand boas,
    Rosy boas, (also a bunch)
    Dumerils Boas,
    Hogg Island Boas,
    True Redtail Boas (Boa Constrictor Constrictor),
    Amaral's Boas,
    Argentinian Boas,
    and then of course even Green and Yellow Anacondas (also boas)

3. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Just about any boa is going to be smaller then a Common boa, they normally are fairly large.

The common boa is called a Colombian red tail a lot, though many disagree with this name as both BCI and BCC are found in Colombia. BCI is known mainly as the common boa, though there are also people who, by scale count of the animals that have been imported, see that most animals that were/are imported as BCI from Colombia are really BCC as per the published findings dorsal scale count is the main factor in the separation of the two subspecies.

A lot of serious collectors have found that they have imported BCC from Colombia and that imports of Colombian BCI are rare, if not mixed bred animals or miss identified. Leading some to think that most Colombian boas in captivity (if imported and of pure blood) are likely BCC.

4. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Depending on how small you are looking, on the list was Rosy boas. They do not get much larger than 3 feet, 4 would be a big one. I have one and he's great. He's over 5 years old and is only about 2 1/2 feet right now. He's also very docile. I had a caresheet submitted but I don't think it made it on here yet. I have it saved on my computer though incase you'd like a run down on their needs. :)

5. Loudog760

Loudog760 Active Member

Thanks! I'm gonna look into most of these!

6. Loudog760

Loudog760 Active Member

ohhh I see, thanks for the info!

7. Loudog760

Loudog760 Active Member

Yeah we have Rosy boas out here, they're kind of hard to find though but they're very docile in the wild too. But I like the size the Common Boa, dumeril ground Boa and the brazilian rainbow boa; something like that.

8. DarkMagician207

There are some members who have or have had the rainbow boas so they could probably help you with questions you'd have on those too.

9. Loudog760

Loudog760 Active Member

Thanks for the help, and maybe someone will. Till then I'll keep doing research.

:D

10. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Missed this part, knocks a few off my list..

11. DarkMagician207

You can look for threads from BlackJack, or even pm her. She has had the rainbows in the past.

12. Loudog760

Loudog760 Active Member

Thanks again everyone!

13. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I think rainbow boas are a great choice. They do not get huge like the common boas but are extremely powerful constrictors, so you don't want to put them around your neck!
    My rainbow boa female,"Talyn", could hold onto my forearm so tightly that my hand would go numb.
    Here are two pictures of "Crais": a full grown male. (The breeder said he was a Brazilian rainbow boa, but I counted his scales and they were in the range of the Peruvians... probably a mixed breed.) He's a beauty no matter what you call him. I bought him as an adult to breed with my female, but when she died from incompletely reabsorbed eggs, I decided to give him back to the breeder. He had not been socialized much and was pretty nasty. But gorgeous to look at:
    [​IMG]
    Here you can get an idea of the size of a full grown healthy male:
    [​IMG]

Rainbow boas, especially the Brazilian or Peruvians, are stunningly beautiful animals. When the light shines on their red-orange scales, a prism effect occurs and they glisten with all the colors of the rainbow... blues greens: it's cool. At night, the sides of their bodies turn whitish grey -- better camouflage? This is my girl, "Talyn", who turned out to be a Marajo Island Rainbow boa. They are fairly rare in the pet trade, they get bigger but do not have the nice rings along the sides of their bodies that the Brazilians and Peruvians tend to have.

[​IMG]

They are semi-arboreal and mine really loved to climb at night.
    [​IMG]

In fact, they'll climb anything! It was physically impossible to get her off of the stair railing by force. I had to wait till she climbed down herself.
    [​IMG]
    Talyn was unusually big and long: you can get the general idea when you compare her to the number of stairs!

They are also good swimmers, and some like to soak, so you should have a water container big enough for them to soak in but not too deep that they would have to swim constantly. (They can drown.)
    The biggest disappointment about my rainbow boas was that I rarely ever saw them in daytime. They love to burrow or hide under anything they can. At night they are extremely active (but I'm not!) I found that if I took my rainbow female out before 7pm, I usually got bit. If I took her out later, she was fine... she clearly did not like being handled in the middle of (her) night!

They can be nippy as youngsters. But usually settle in well with regular handling. There are also rarely ever feeding issues with BRBs. Mine converted immediately to frozen/thawed food and never refused a meal (except when Talyn was gravid).

We now keep pythons (currently 6 green tree pythons and one ball python), but if I were to get another boa species, it would definitely be a Brazilian or Peruvian rainbow boa. :)

I hope that helps! Let me know if you'd like any other information... I don't know much about the other species. I think Dumeril's boas are beautiful, but they can get awfully big.

14. Loudog760

Loudog760 Active Member

Wow thanks! I found that all very helpful! I did want to ask a few things.

Which snake gets bigger, Brazilian males or Peruvian males? I rather have a male because they usually don't get bigger than the females right?

15. DarkMagician207

16. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

The link is good but I think a little out dated and mis leading. BCI is a sub-species of Boa constrictor. Their are as of now 4 sub-species in the group.

On to a few of the things I dissagree with in the above article.

1. "Many Red Tails that have shipped out of Colombia have been labeled by exporters as "Colombian Red Tail Boas." Such a snake does not exist. All Colombian Boas are Common Boas, as previously mentioned."

Where did this information come from? H+S Sockel have recorded both BCI and BCC in Colombia (see True boas, pub 2007, ms-verlag).

2. "Red Tail Boas are heavier bodied than Common Boas. They tend to have sharp, dark markings, bold, bright red tails with black markings outlining them, yet lighter skin tone. Red Tail Boas are longer, ranging from nine to ten feet long. Commons can represent the same attributes as Red Tails."

This statment almost saves it self in the statment "Commons can represent the same attributes as Red Tails". Most record sized boas have been Colombian BCI.

There's even question of if BCI is normaly exported from Colombia. The following article is very interesting. Constrictor constrictor explination

17. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

With boas and pythons the females usually are bigger, although its not unheard of for a male to get as large as a female.

18. Loudog760

Loudog760 Active Member

Yeah that's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure.

19. Loudog760

Loudog760 Active Member

Another thing, If I do get a rainbow boa, when he grows up what size should his tank be? I found some nice one's at Animal Plastics I like the T12 With Sliding Acrylic Doors.

if there any other good links out there let me know. The more money I can save the better.

20. Loudog760

Loudog760 Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.