This Disappears When Logged In

A Tragic Death in the "Family"

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by Og_, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I can hardly bring myself to admit to another death under my care.
    I was concerned That my blood hasn't pooped in some time . I was told he was impacted and to soak him in deep, really warm water for 20 min. and let him swim.
    I checked on him every five minutes. The last check, he was drowned when i found him.
    I feel like a complete idiot! :(

I even tried puffing air in his mouth, but how do you do CPR on a snake? I have no idea to where his heart and lungs are.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am really sorry to hear that Greg. It's possible he had too much toxicity from the stool inside him and just didn't have the strength to keep swimming. Whenever I soak or bathe one of my animals, I always toss in some sort of structure in the middle of the tub that allows them to get out of the water, or at least lifted with an inch of the waters level so they can take a break if they choose.

3. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Im so sorry to hear of your loss. Remember, we are human and we do make mistakes...

4. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

sorry to hear about that. :(

5. nicole

nicole Elite Member

aww man that is awful,, Ia m so sorry to hear that Og. Like I panda said, we all learn from our mistakes. Once again, I am sorry to hear that!

6. darkrapture

darkrapture Member

awe that sux! it totally reminded me of when i was 9 and i opened a door and accidentally crushed my little budgie that happened to be walking behind me. of course i cried about it :(, i hope that you will feel relief for it soon.

7. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm sorry Og! I know its hard but try not to beat yourself up about it. It's an honest mistake, and one I am sure that you won't let yourself make again. We are all still learning.

8. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Sympathies Og!

9. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I am so sorry for your loss Og :(

10. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

SO sorry to hear this Og.

11. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I've always done this when I've soaked my herps for shedding issues. But he wouldn't swim if he had something to sit on.

The thing is, he has had impaction for quite a while and I saw it but didn't no what it was. I thought he was just getting thick. I've heard a lot about impaction over the last year or so. I suppose I knew about what it is but not how to look for it or indentify it.
    when I held the snake just above the vent it felt like a jelly pouch with little lumps in it. I assumed that was his stomach and the little lumps were just little bits of rat that were still being broken down. Nope.
    I don't know what the correct term is but I can describe it as calcium balls or clusters . One woman at the store told me he was full of gravel. She's an old country woman and doesn't use the proper terminology and doesn't care to.

He just ate 7 days ago! He's been eating one proper sized rat every week for at least 3 months now. My logic so far has been ,If they're eating, they're good to go.

At least now I KNOW what impaction is. The thing is, you can see it in the photos, if you look close enough.

I'm grateful for what I know now but am humbled at the same time as to the price that has been paid for my "education".

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Sorry to hear about another loss. You can't blame yourself. Its not like you ignored the problem, or just hoped he would get better. You tried. Beyond surgery you did the right thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.