This Disappears When Logged In

A successful day

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by furryscaly, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Long story short, I went for a walk today and in the process of turning over logs I found a valley and ridge salamander (Plethodon hoffmani). I've never seen one before, and what's cool is to the best of my knowledge they're not documented in Anne Arundel county.

Anyway, I figured I'd tease you all because pics will come....later tonight :D

2. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

So you are saying it is Spring where your at!!!:D Send some my way please.

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

OK Matt,,,,been waiting 2 hrs for the pics,,,,lets wake up dude.....

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Thats not fair, hurry up!, lol

5. nicole

nicole Elite Member

still waiting..........................lol

6. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

man....watching time like this is pretty bad for my mind i think.... i am seeing salamanders everywhere(and i have never ever seen one before). this is not good! help me!!!!!

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Haha, ok, as promised, here are pics ;)

Keep in mind this little bugger would not sit still for me at all. Savannah has named him Fred-Savannah :p He's about 4-5 inches long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

he is cute. Haha dig the name

9. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Lucky you...
    I really hope I stumble across a rattlesnake at potholes on saturday...otherwise you're march herping will be far more successful than mine.

10. The D

The D Mango Empress

awww he is so cute and little... nice find!

11. Sean Boyd

Sean Boyd Elite Member

So cute!

12. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Very cool, Matt! I went spring herping yesterday, too...by accident! I was walking along our backyard creek, looking for Betsy's shoes (which I feared had been left outside and washed away in last week's flooding). I never did find them (grr! that girl needs to quit leaving her shoes outside!), but I did find two salamander egg masses. I think they are from spotted sallies. I left one in the creek to let nature take its course, and we brought the other one in and set it up in a 10g tank. I did this a few years ago, and managed to successfully raise the little ones until they lost their gills, and then I released them back in the creek. This year I may keep one or two just a little longer, as I have a nice big tank downstairs just waiting for inspiration to strike!

13. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Cool :) I really miss having salamanders, though I prefer mole sallies to lungless. I heard many and saw one spring peeper today on my walk back from work, but didn't catch any. I'll go back for some later.

14. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

good looking salamander

15. KTsCresties

KTsCresties Elite Member

So cute! Last salamander I found was before winter and he was crawling across our driveway. He was BRIGHT orange with spots. Don't know what kind, but he was very cute!

16. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

It looks like you did have a good find!

17. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

18. KTsCresties

KTsCresties Elite Member

Yup, but thinner. Very cool, thanks for the ID!!!

19. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

What area are you in? I'm in northern Virginia. Though those guys are pretty wide-spread, I think.

20. KTsCresties

KTsCresties Elite Member

Middle Tennessee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.