This Disappears When Logged In

A Strange Dough.

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by HDreptiles, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

So, my mom had a recipe for this dough stuff. She used it to make Christmas ornaments, and I was wondering if it would be ok to use for lizards. I want to use it to make some type of background and maybe a rock structure for my leo's. Here is the recipe, let me know what you think.

2 cups flour
    1 cup salt
    1 cup water
    1 cup water

You can also add a teaspoon or 2 of some cooking oil to keep it from cracking. You then can bake it at 300 F or let it dry in the sun. Drying it in the sun will also keep it from cracking. After it is dry, you can paint it any color you want. I was thinking if you seal it somehow, it would be safe to use for my critters. IMO, I don't think it would harm them, but you never know. It was made as an alternative for kids who like to eat their toys. I am thinking I would make a background and silicone it to the back of the glass tank that the leo's are living in. And I thought a good aquarium sealer would be good to make it animal and water proof. Any amount of feedback would be good, and also some suggestions for paint and sealer would be appreciated as well.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not a good idea! Being flour, it will attract moisture and mold.
    And insects.
    If you want to do something like that go with the Great Stuff expanding foam or sheets of styrofoam.

3. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Even if you dry it out and seal the dough, it will still attract them?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The slightest imperfection or scratch in the sealant will cause it to fail.
    No sense letting all your efforts turn into a gross science experiment that gets tossed in the trash.

5. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

You have a point there. Maybe this would be an experiment best tried on a smaller scale. Thank you for the advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.