This Disappears When Logged In

A Snake On A Plane?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by scoot, Oct 18, 2015.

1. scoot

scoot Active Member

so I may be moving to Portland, OR from Florida in a year or so and I have my buddy ball python to take with me. Now I know snakes are allowed on a plane as baggage, but is there a more preferred way to keep it from... getting hurt, sick, dying?

I'm reading up on it and I think the answers are pretty clear: have it checked in as a pet and put in an appropriate container, OR put in the overhead luggage thing. But is there an extra cost? Anybody with experience travelling with pet snakes got any tips or advice, things to look out for?

(also, btw, how do you make "profile posts"?)

2. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I once tried this with an anole and let me tell you, it can be extremely annoying (not just for the reptile but for you too) The best way to go is if you have a buddy who can hold the reptile for you and then mail it as a live animal so it'll get to you in a day or two.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Another thing would be to contact the airline in question and ask them directly, I would assume different airlines will have different rules. Other than that, standard rules of thumb for shipping/transport. Secure container/cooler/bag, 48hr heat pack depending on weather at either end, and any paperwork you might need, probably none for a ball python.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For the most part, Airlines are not going to allow you to bring a live animal into the passenger area of the plane. Can you imagine the chaos up in the air and someone says, I can't find my snake!
    Animals are placed in cargo which may or may not have climate control. If possible your best bet is to arrange to have it shipped to you overnight once you get settled in.
    And I would not suggest trying to sneak it on. Even if you managed to get it thru screening, should they discover it later, you may find yourself and said snake put off the plane in the middle of who knows where!
    If not under arrest!

5. scoot

scoot Active Member

Thank you! Yeah, it seems the best bet it to have him shipped and I can have that done. Thankfully I've got plenty of time to make that plan and he'll no doubt be bigger by then.

Oh! And I'm guessing they're shipped as I've seen in unboxing videos? In a secure container with ventilation or air holes (I have a small tote he'll fit in even when he's bigger), and fill the shipping box so he doesn't whip around in there. I sort of doubt people at the post office would always know how to do that.