This Disappears When Logged In

A Re-introduction Of Sorts.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Moshpitrockchick, May 25, 2015.

1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Hello friends, old and new! I have been a member here for years and years, but I mostly lurk and just look at cute photos lately, it has been a couple of years since I have been reliably active.

I am posting a new intro because I am back and I'm going to be picking some brains a bit with my latest venture. Right now I just have a 14 year old bearded dragon named Zola. Next week I am getting a "free" mystery tortoise from the local high school because "no one wants to take proper care of it"

I haven't seen it yet, no one can even tell me what type of tortoise it is, just that it's "about the size of a dinner plate" and that a non reptilian vet gave it a clean bill of health 6 months ago.

Prepare for an onslaught of questions and cute photos from a very experienced lizard keeper who is hoping the learning cure on a tortoise isn't too steep.

(I've attached a photo of the old man cranky lizard and another with his cohorts, Happy the cat and Sneakers the rat since I know you guys love photos)

Attached Files:

ferasaeva likes this.
  2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Oh hey there stranger, long time no see! I hope Zola is well and I can't wait to see your mystery tort next week.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Zola is old and crotchety and falling apart. He's going to be 15 this year. I can't believe it! He's got cataracts, lumps, scale deformations and he walks in circles but he still loves to bask in the sun, eat anything you put in front of him and he thoroughly enjoys chasing the cat when he's got the mental acuity to notice she is sitting near him. (She usually has to be moving for him to go inspect her and then she runs like heck because she's scared of him).

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Love the cat's expression in that pic, he's like "don't you even think of coming any closer" XD Feline stink eye, lol.

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Like the camera in the avatar :p Know what you mean about old pet behavior, I have a 36 year old cockatiel, several years past his expiration date and showing no signs of letting us off the hook. Love to see more photos :)

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Welcome back. Hoping that tort will be in good shape for you.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome back Lacey! Good to see you back on!

Mystery tortoise eh? Hopefully it's not a sulcata!

Darkbird likes this.
  8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

That's what I was thinking too. But then size of a dinner plate is a very relative and subjective description. Could just as easily be a Russian.

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Good to see you around again.
    Miss all your wonderful photography. Oh and you too of course. :)

10. Moshpitrockchick

Still no word on what I've gotten myself into. Luckily I have the outdoor space to keep a medium sized dinosaur happy if I need to until Fall. If it turns out it is a Sulcata though we're going to have to figure out some interesting winter accommodations. I wonder if it would rather winter in the barn with the horses or the chicken coop? :p

I'm actually pretty excited about the possibility of getting a mid-size tort. I'm just hoping I don't show up to pick it up and get handed a red eared slider or something silly. It's happened before when I went to pick up a sick "baby bearded dragon" and they handed me a wild caught horned lizard.

Thanks all for the warm welcome back. I'll have to post up some fresh photos for you. I just celebrated my 5 year "Iguana-versary" since getting my face chomped and took comparison photos. You'll be glad to hear that I no longer look like Frankenstein's Monster.

ferasaeva and Darkbird like this.
  11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Gods has it been 5 years since that happened? Time flies!

Darkbird likes this.
  12. ferasaeva

ferasaeva Well-Known Member

I'm pretty new here so I'm not familiar with you, but I look forward to seeing your posts! I can't wait to hear what kind of tortoise you end up with! One day I hope to be able to take in animals in that way!