This Disappears When Logged In

A question about heating lage viv's

Discussion in 'Heating' started by vmpwraith, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vmpwraith

vmpwraith Member

I'm looking to build a big viv/pal for my frogs. After looking at a great design and site Hans Paludarium

I'm keen to make a smaller version of this from a glass aquarium maybe 50-70 gallons. My question is about heating it I would like to have the temperature between 28-30% C. Lighting is an option but are a little harder to hide away. Do you think if I make the water section large enough and heat that to 30ish degrees that it will warm a viv of that size? (I'm also a little concerned with which will be the cheaper long term heating solution)

Any advice on heating large viv's would be welcome as yet my collection has no heating other than the occasional light on very cold days.

Cheers
    Vmpwraith

2. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi vmpwraith,

I know nothing about what you're asking, but you may be able to find help at Herp Habitats.

3. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

There are some simple things you can do to heat an aquarium especially if a humid environment is ok. Aquariums lose most of their heat through evaporation out the top. A screen lid doesnt help. You want to build or buy a canopy hood. A canopy hood can not only hide your lights, but also allow you to use a lower wattage bulb because none of the heat will be escaping.

The canopy will also keep humidity in the tank.

Second, glass is a horrible insulator. Covering the back and/or sides of the tank with any insulating material will help to contain heat. I have used all sorts of things from aluminum foil to scrap fabric, even newspapers if you arent too concerned about aesthetics. Other things can absorb heat and hold it even if the heat source turns off. Rocks and live plants are some examples.

Also for mostly aquatic tanks, a canopy hood can help you to use the entire volume of water rather than wasting it by only having the tank half full.

[​IMG]

Heres the first hood I built for a 55 gallon, with one of my early filters
    [​IMG]

4. vmpwraith

vmpwraith Member

Cheers

Thankyou for the advice. I've been looking around and found a couple of nice tanks. So i hope to start the build soon.

vmpwraith

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You could also use the ceramic heat emmiters. But enclosures need light anyways so why not kill two birds with one stone and use floodlights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.