This Disappears When Logged In

A New Tort!

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by mommycheychey, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art Klass

Art Klass Member

Are you soaking your tortoise? Put it in about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of luke warm water and it should use the bathroom there. I have two and they go in their enclosure and whan I soak them. Good luck!

2. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

Well Peak-a-Boo did poop when I soaked him :)
    I can't tell what Peak-a-Boo likes better, his soakings or my holding him & drying him off really good after his oaking. He seems to REALLY enjoy both!

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

:D congrats lol, bet u never thought youd be worried about a turtle going to the bathroom

4. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

Nope, NEVER!

5. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

I told my husband that I would be leaving Peak-a-Boo alone for a while until he is well adapted to his new home & boy does he laugh @ me on a daily basis when I soak Peak-a-Boo & then hold him & dry him really good :) My husband thinks we have the MOST spoiled tort ever :)
    & the family was soooo surprised when I went to a award ceremony for my youngest daughter last night & Peak-a-Boo wasn't with me :)

6. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

it might just be that he's sleeping when he's in his shell. thiers not much else to do besides walk circles around a cage :p

usually mine is either in the corner sleeping mostly in his shell or eating.
    even when he's outside in his pen during the summers he's usually in his shell sleeping or walking around munching on grass or dandelion leaves.

as for the bathroom thing, mine usually doesen't go every day either. never has.

7. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

Thanks for your reply, it makes me feel better to know that others out there know the answers to my questions & can be VERY helpful :)
    Peak-a-Boo seems to sleep sprawled out outside of his shell, it actually has scared me MANY times, I thought he was dead :(
    From what I see of his eyes when he is tucked into his shell, it seems like his eyes are open???
    My husband & I have a dog who sleeps on his back, mouth open, tongue out, & front legs in the air, we think our animals like to trick us & play dead.
    I tried soaking him a little while ago & he wanted NOTHING to do with his soaking, he ran right out & didn't even look back. I picked him up & put him back in the water & got the same response. I have been soaking him @ night & he has always seemed to love it. Maybe he likes his bath right before bed?? I'll try again later!

8. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

I wouldn't soak a Sulcata on a daily basis. Their natural habitat is very arid (dry). If I'm not mistaken, there are fungal type illnesses they can suffer from if kept too moist.

Stanley and Camille 'go' daily, but they're both outdoor free-grazers during the summertime. They don't go at all while brumating (hibernating).

It is so cute when they sprawl with their legs out as far as they can go. I love their elephant-like back legs. :)

9. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

Thanks for your advise!
    That was one of the many things I was getting conflicting stories about. Do soak them, don't soak them.
    Elephant like back legs, perfect way to describe them. They are VERY cute :)

10. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

I'm going shopping for Peak-a-Boo today. Any suggestions on a list (foods).
    I have been giving him a few pieces of carrots every day but this morning was the very first time he ever even took a bite of one & thats all he took was the one bite :(
    So far he has only eaten collard greens & dandelion leaves for me. I have tried many other things but the collard greens & dandelion leaves are all he seems to eat.
    What is the best everyday food for him??? & what should I try for the 2 or 3 times a day food???
    Any suggestions out there???

11. SurvivorSteph

I'm not sure how big he is, but go to your local feed store and buy some Timothy or Alfalfa hay. The bulk of their diet should be dry hay; this will help keep their stool solid... as it dries, it will actually look similar to horse's stool. The greens can be fed a couple times a week. You want to be careful about too much fruit... they love it, but it will wind up disturbing the gut-flora balance.

There are a few great Sulcata books available; I'll get the names of them from my mother and let you know.

There are diet issues that will contribute to pyramiding of the scutes, I'll try to remember what those were too. A sulcata's shell should be fairly smooth with individual scutes staying pretty flat.

12. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

Thank you!
    I would REALLY appreciate the names of the books. The books I have came across are stupid & NOT much help.
    I do have Alfalfa for him but he doesn't touch it. Maybe I will give him NO other options for a few days & see what happens??????
    Peak-a-Boo is just a little smaller then the palm of my hand & his shell is PERFECT, I REALLY want to keep it that way :)

13. SurvivorSteph

14. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

I bought Timothy hay & @ least Peak-a-Boo took a couple bites of that. I think today I will not give him anything but the hay & see if he will eat it. I hope that he does!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.