This Disappears When Logged In

A New Reptile Friend

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by SmartCuffee, Jan 24, 2017.

1. SmartCuffee

SmartCuffee New Member

Hey guys, I had recently for Christmas gotten a 36 x 16 x 18 Reptile tank from National Geographic. It is a 40 gallon tank that I fully decorated and have prepared for a new reptile. The only problem is that I cannot decide what reptile would be best for my tank, The basking spot's heat stays in the mid to low 90's and the cool side in the mid 70's. I have plenty of hiding spots for my reptile as well as a UVB bulb. I will attach some pictures of my tank to see if you guys have any ideas for what kind of reptile would be happiest in my enclosure. Currently I have a reptile mat on my tank floor, but if I should use substrate I will gladly switch. In terms of the reptile though, I would like a relatively low maintenance (beginner) pet that I could leave for 3-4 days at a time at the most and not have him die because I have a relatively tight schedule. not to say that I would only feed him every 3-4 days of course. But I do not think that I would have the time to feed a reptile twice a day, every day. Along with that, my parents banned me from having any insects in the house other than worms so I would need a reptile that does not need to be fed crickets or roaches.
    WP_20170123_21_13_52_Rich_LI.jpg WP_20170123_21_14_16_Rich_LI.jpg

2. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

I would suggest a rosy boa, but you need to do the research in order to make that decision. If you could talked your parents into the insects a leopard gecko would also be suitable for your enclosure. Just remember when looking at size requirements for an animal, bigger is almost always better for the animal.
    In the end it's really up to you and what you can care for, just do your research before hand.
    Best of luck

3. SmartCuffee

SmartCuffee New Member

Thanks. My brother actually owns a leopard gecko. But I was trying to keep an open mind when researching reptiles.

4. SmartCuffee

SmartCuffee New Member

My step mom just told me that she is deathly afraid of snakes, so sadly, they are not an option for me.

5. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

Check out the care sheets on this site, you will be able to determine what type of reptiles you are suitable to take care of. Do some online searching, and make sure what ever you decide on you are able to meets its needs.

6. dp428

dp428 Established Member

something similar to a leopard gecko would be an African fat-tailed gecko they are very fun animals but the habitat is a little bit different so you mind just keeping up a higher humidity and coverage I would recommend an AFG. Anoles are really fun too.. but I have never owned them as an adult so its kind of hard to give you some advice on that.

7. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

is it 16 or 18 high? an adult Crestie would be good, they can be maintained on a crested gecko diet like Pangea, they are comfortable between 70 -80 degrees so heat is not always needed depending on the room temp(I keep mine between 73-76), they do not need UV but it's fine since you already have it, an adult can go a few days between feedings(I usually feed every 3rd day.

you will have to ditch the mat and get something with more humidity, there are many substrates available to fill this, and you should be misting them every day(or twice if needed) so a misting system is necessary if you want to go on auto pilot mode, I mist mine by hand with a spray bottle and I ask someone to do it for me if I am going to be away (this could be the the deal breaker for you.) But look around, browse Fauna Classified and if you see something you like, start researching it's care and see if it falls into something you can do.