This Disappears When Logged In

A Little Weirded Out

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by leslielenee, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Savu python has only eaten twice (1 F/T rat hopper) since his last meal on 9-03-08, yet has shed twice AND gained .13 pounds. WTH?!? When do I, if ever, begin to worry about this change in eating pattern?:confused:

2. venus

venus Founding Member

A lot of it might have to do with the changing of the weather. I wouldn't worry unless he begins to lose weight.

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

How old is the python?
    In my experience, snakes have a very particular eating pattern. It might be what we consider "normal" to offer a snake food once a week or once a month, but my snakes (especially the males) seem to go off food for months at a time (not only in winter).
    If the snake seems otherwise healthy, the temperatures in the terrarium are accurate and the snake is not losing a lot of weight, I would say don't worry too much.
    Offer food every week or two: when he's hungry, he'll take it.
    Good luck!

4. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

He is approximately 15 months old. What made me weigh him is because he was looking a bit skinny. But when I got the weight and put the shedding and weight together I realized that he just had a humongous growth spurt. BUT I see some rips in his muscle...Meaning he is much more lean than any of my other snakes. Still extraordinarily strong.
    I'll give it a bit more time though. Thanks for the advice.
    He is really peculiar, however and only eats while he is in the 55 aquarium. (he is now in the 40 gallon breeder). I wonder if this is my problem or if I am just dealing with your run of the mill teenager.

5. xanaxez

xanaxez Member

I would say it's because you changed his housing. Try putting him back in the 55 and let him settle in a few days then try to feed him. If he eats you know what the problem was.

6. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Nah, he has to share. That was the problem before, I noted that he did not eat in the wooden enclosure but when he got back into the 55 he ate again. But the rescued red tail is growing by leaps and bounds. The 55 is now inhabited by her and BTW he is much more contented in the 40 BUT still won't eat?!?
    Humidity is fine, Temps are staying higher 75-88 (which is a problem in the 55 with a nocturnal snake. it gets cooold like 75 all the time with only a moon glow bulb & the heat pad) and he is more active and a lot less territorial. BUT still not eating.:confused:
    Also he is usually really high strung and nervous. But this is not the vibe I'm getting from him... It is more like a testing his boundaries fasting or something. But with no real care sheets to go off of I am just having him teach me...But he still has to learn to share, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.