This Disappears When Logged In

A Good Sign?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Brent Strande, Jan 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brent Strande

Brent Strande Elite Member

Well, so far during the breeding trials of my BRBs, I haven't seen any action goin on... and still haven't. But, I did lift up some of the newspapers and find a promising sight at least, they were TOUCHING each other! Haha, I know that its gonna take a lot more than that, but it was reassuring to know that they're at least getting closer.

Look promising (or at least hopeful) to anyone else?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also noticed that ad in the paper after taking the pics, could it be a sign?? ;)

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

LOL i think so!! ;)

How long have you had them together? How old are they, etc? Firstly, just because you haven't seen them mating, doesn't mean they haven't been ofcourse! :D Boas, generally, will initiate courtship very soon after being placed together, but to guarantee a mating response try separating them again, and placing them back together after a few days, leaving them together for a week, and repeating the process until you see or suspect they have mated. Also, look out for abdominal swelling in the female, or gently feel her daily to see if you can feel any swelling - this can occur for a very short time so check her daily. This is a sign that she is ovulating, and hopefully the ova will become fertilised with sperm soon after, if not already.

Some pairs however will just not take to each other, and if this happens you just have to regretfully accept that. Also, did you put them through brumation? - this can stimulate a breeding response and increase fertility levels.

Good luck! We are breeding some of our snakes for the first time this year, and only last week had a successful mating with the dumerils boas! The female has since ovulated and fingers crossed she'll be gravid soon, if not already! :D

As an afterthought, if you saw them touching this may or may not be a sign that they were getting ready to mate - the male will initiate mating by tickling the female with his spurs and to mate they will entwine their tails. Sorry if i'm preaching to the already-knowledgable, just a point i wanted to add. :)

3. Brent Strande

I've been *cycling* them for over a month now (you brumate colubrids, but brumation isn't good for boids) but when I first put them together they each took a separate hide and kept their distances...

After approx 5 days I would separate them, then reintroduce a few days later. It was the same until just recently, when I found them 'under the covers' as they usually don't go below the newspaper (it's nice and humid in their hides so no need)

So, they've been somewhat frustrating during the first part of the breeding trials, so right now I'll be excited like this just to see them near each other! It's SOME sort of progress! Haha

4. Bitis Gabonica

Apologies, that is what i meant by "brumation", I know they don't have the same cooling period as colubrids, but their "winter period" as I refer to it. :)

Well, sounds like you are doing everything right, guess you just have to wait and see .. the difficult part, if you're as impatient as me!! :p Good luck, let us know how you progress with them! How old are they? Our pair of BRBs are just over a year in age, and growing so quickly. BRBs are sexually mature around 2 years of age? If they gain weight in the same way they have in their first year, we will be looking forward to mating ours some point next year! :)

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

You've got another pair of beauties right there. I checked out your website: your collection is impressive and the quality of your photos is OUTSTANDING! My girl, Talyn, has a much darker head. I'm wondering if that's just her age (she's about 4-5 years old) or if that's just her. ? I like it.

You've really turned my head with your GTP, but when I look at these two beauties, I'm reminded how lucky I am to have such a beautiful BRB (and my little BP) and I don't really need anymore (for the moment.)
    Keep us informed on your progress. In a few years I might like to find a boyfriend to "borrow" for Talyn. Or I'll buy one. I think she'd have beautiful babies. :D

6. Bitis Gabonica

I'm with you Andrea, you certainly have some beautiful animals Brent, and your photos are really great! I can't express how jealous I am of your albino boa! - amazing snake! And your JCPs are stunning! I could go on, but I'm not going to.. I will only make myself upset and green with envy! ;-)

Andrea, Talyn's colouration is probably just due to the individual level. Colour can change with age, but our two, at just over a year old, are very dark specimens, particularly Frankie, our male. Nancy is a little lighter and brighter, but in a certain light Frankie appears to be constantly shed!, i.e. his colouration is the same as Nancy's when she is in shed. Needless to say, when Frankie goes into shed he goes even darker. They are both still beautiful individuals and I believe a stronger "shimmer" and "rainbow sheen" comes with age? :)

7. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Beautiful snakes!!!!!

8. Brent Strande

I find that it comes right after a shed, ;) JK!

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

they're absolutely gorgeous! very beautiful. hope you have good luck and have lots of little babies! :D

10. Bitis Gabonica

LOL Brent, ok that too! :p

11. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Looks like they were playing hide and seek and you ruined the game! lol ;)
    Very very pretty snakes! Ok I'm jealous!! I want one too!

12. Brent Strande

Well, as I've stated before in other threads, these two are sometimes picky eaters. I was hoping that breeding would possibly help stimulate feeding for her (not feeding him during breeding) and it already has! She just hammered a nice big ol 255g rat!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.